[SOLVED] Can viruses and trojans infect a micro SD card plugged into a desktop USB port via an adapter?

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
At one point I had a micro sd card that I was going to use on a console plugged into an infected PC. The PC is now clear, but I wonder if there could now be a trojan on the micro sd that could re-infect the computer if plugged in (and if it also could do anything to a game console).

Solution
AutoPlay is disabled by default; Windows will ask you what to do if it detects a new removable media. So this vector isn't so much of a problem. And even then AutoPlay only applies to certain file types, namely media types, to run another program to use those files. AutoRun, which actually launches something in the media, doesn't work from removable writable media (such as any type of flash media) for security reasons.

If you want to be certain that the SD card is clean, just reformat it from a known good machine.
It’s possible. That used to be the prevalent way of spreading viruses but with floppies.

Now an updated anti virus. Would likely have definitions for the virus by now. Unless you disabled it. It should scan any removable plugged in. At least any auto play file. Then you can scan the whole drive manually.

Also if you want to be more cautious. Disable auto play.

As for the console. It’s extremely unlikely.

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
It’s possible. That used to be the prevalent way of spreading viruses but with floppies.

Now an updated anti virus. Would likely have definitions for the virus by now. Unless you disabled it. It should scan any removable plugged in. At least any auto play file. Then you can scan the whole drive manually.

Also if you want to be more cautious. Disable auto play.

As for the console. It’s extremely unlikely.

Thank you, I have kept it updated, so I'll just make sure to scan right after it's plugged in. I don't know how to disable autoplay, so I'm guessing it's on since I did reinstall windows and wipe my drive after getting rid of the trojan.

AutoPlay is disabled by default; Windows will ask you what to do if it detects a new removable media. So this vector isn't so much of a problem. And even then AutoPlay only applies to certain file types, namely media types, to run another program to use those files. AutoRun, which actually launches something in the media, doesn't work from removable writable media (such as any type of flash media) for security reasons.

If you want to be certain that the SD card is clean, just reformat it from a known good machine.

Solution