Can vista 64-bit keep up on 3Gb ram?

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
I have an old computer that's only used for Internet and office and those small tasks
CPU:pentium dual-core E5700
RAM:-3GB DDR2
Windows Vista SP2 X86
I faced some problems when I tried 4gb as seen in this thread

-http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2144342/black-screen-ram-upgrade.html#13357531

does upgrading to vista 64 with that amount of RAM make sense?

Solution
If you're going to upgrade your OS, go to Windows 7, 8 or 9.1 - not Vista.

Basically you are wasting time and money on an old build with ddr2 ram. Any fix is made difficult because the info is disappearing. It's much easier to find info on current parts and software.

If you want cheap go with an amd cpu. If you want good, go with Intel.
If you're going to upgrade your OS, go to Windows 7, 8 or 9.1 - not Vista.

Basically you are wasting time and money on an old build with ddr2 ram. Any fix is made difficult because the info is disappearing. It's much easier to find info on current parts and software.

If you want cheap go with an amd cpu. If you want good, go with Intel.

Solution

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

thank you for your reply
my new CPU is not coming for a while
I already have a vista 64

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
What operating system do you currently have?

Running a 32bit operating system would be a better option if you are sticking with that hardware. 64bit is only useful for +4gb RAM. Also the difference between 3 and 4gb ram would be negligible.

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

on the computer I plan to upgrade , Vista home premium SP2 32-bit (it's good)

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

seriously? tell me then why did Microsoft release 2 service packs for it?
the current vista installation on this computer (home premium 32 bit) is fast and never faced any problems or slowdowns , what are you talking about?
and hell NO xp is no way better than vista

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Vista uses more memory than XP because it can utilise memory significantly better than XP.

Vista maybe a deetply flawed operating system and Microsoft tested out some new concepts that they tweaked for Windows 7 (user account control I'm looking at you!) but the reality is the operating system at it's core is a significant improvement over Windows XP.

If you are running a decently spec'd machine then Vista will outperform XP every time. Your current machine, even without a RAM upgrade will run totally fine on Vista 32bit.

In my house I have various computers: I've got Windows 8.1, Win 7, Vista and Ubuntu, openelec and unraid. The computer that is my little workhorse that I do loads of stuff on is a q6600 with 4gb RAM running Vista 32bit and it's never let me down. If you live with Vista for a time and accept it's floors it's a really solid and useable operating system. IMO Microsoft made less mistakes with Vista than they did with the initial release of Windows 8.

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

Hello , I've vista SP2 32bit installed
It's pretty fast
Cpu is pentium dual core and 3 gb of ram ddr2
XP is NO WAY better than vista as I tried both of them
Vista was buggy at the first but MS fixed it with 2 service packs and some few patchs , remember that xp had the same fate at the first and every one hated and bashed xp before loving it, it sucked then MS fixed it, any os is like that not only windows , you face problems at first then you get patchs
Comparing memory usage with xp doesn't make sense as you compare an os desigened to work on 128mb of ram with another os designed to work with 1gb of ram
My current vista installation was installed on july 2013 and it's going to complete 1 year and it's too fast, I never faced problems with it

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

You do realise he is the OP and already runs Vista 32bit and his question was will 64bit be faster. The answer is no not with 3gb. Any system running 4gb RAM or less with no intention to upgrade should stick with a 32bit operating system. If you already have Vista I don't see a big reason for change. You would be best waiting until you do a complete system upgrade.

Also XP would only run 'quicker' than Vista on a system with <1gb RAM and even then it's because you are limited to IE 8 and less memory intensive apps. XP had its day and it is long gone.

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

thanks,
again, it's quicker because you run it on modern hardware, try runing windows vista or 7 on 2020 hardware, you will say that they are quicker than the versions of windows in that era