[SOLVED] Can VRMS be passively cooled?

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
My vrm temperatures are limiting my cpu overclock.
I cannot fit a fan on vrms because of the clearance issues.
But I am able to put on some heatsinks. Would that be enough to cool down my vrms?
What kind of difference would it make?

Solution
I do not have a house fan... But I was just wondering if putting some heatsinks on vrms would help. Because its a really cheap thing to do...

It could but realistically, you'll always be limited by the anemic VRMs. Cheap motherboards don't overclock well and cheap AMD motherboards of this era really don't overclock well.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
What cpu and motherboard do you have? Having VRM temperature issues might be a sign the motherboard is not good enough to overclock the cpu you have or at least with the level of overclocking you are trying to achieve.
I do not know the model of a case... its a prebuild.
My motherboard is: Gygabyte f2f2a68hm-s1
My cpu is athlon x4 840.

I do not have intake fans. There is just no mounts for them.
But I can say that I have 1 exhaust fan and the vrms are right between that exhaust and a cpu fan.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
What cpu and motherboard do you have? Having VRM temperature issues might be a sign the motherboard is not good enough to overclock the cpu you have or at least with the level of overclocking you are trying to achieve.
My motherboard is: Gygabyte f2f2a68hm-s1
My cpu is athlon x4 840

High temps are probably because there is no heatsink on vrms... but I am trying to figure that out.