Can watch youtube but can't download files

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinneganFalco

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
I've got a weird one for you guys.

So I can play and watch HD youtube videos just fine. No stutering, buffering, or any problems. But when I go to download a file, it starts but goes VERY slow. I'm talking from 50Mbps down to 200-500Kbps.

I live in Montana, in an apartment complex. So no access to the routers or other network equipment. (I know there is a fiber line almost directly, if not entirely, to my complex) They are telling me that I should be getting 50 down and 25 up. If I check speedtest.net, I get:

Auto Server: 7 ping, 59.87 down, 76.48 up
Seattle (Comcast): 32 ping, 27.54 down, 95.55 up
D.C. (speedtest.net): 56 ping, 32.02 down, 97.93 up

During all the tests the listed speed never settled to long on one speed. Also it never appeared to hit a hard cap speed.

If I test using fast.com, I typically get 36Mbps. However it starts out much faster then drops to the final 36.

Solution
Might haver something to do with the content delivery networks such as Akamai. For example, data is stored on an Akamai server in the USA, normally you would retrieve data from the nearest server, but your ISP may have a a temporary issue and the data now has to be retrieved from the source, e.g. the U.K. Have you changed your DNS recently? Try using OpenDNS or Google public DNS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

Endeavor01

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

The download is probably being throttled by the file's host.
If it's not, it may be your hdd speed that's limiting how fast the file can be written or even if you're using google chrome and have a decent gpu, that your cpu is being bogged down by windows and idle processes. Do you have system specs? (And include your hdd please)

FinneganFalco

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

I doubt it is the file host. One file I was trying to download was a driver update from Nvidia. I have downloaded from them before and achieved speeds of 10+Mbps. This time however the download started around 2Mbps and then degraded to 200Kbps. Next, I doubt it was a hardware issue on my part. I am on a Razer Blade laptop (2013) which has the specs:

i7-4702HQ (2.2GHz/3.2GHz)
GTX 765M (2GB GDDR5)
8GB 1600MHz Ram
256GB SATA3 SSD

To connect to the internet I am using a USB 2.0 to Ethernet adapter. It can and has reached speeds of 400Mbps.

My current guess is an issue with my ISP. However, I am not sure exactly what the issue is. I can achieve high speeds, as shown in my original post, but I can't achieve a solid connection with certain content providers. I just checked Steam, I can download fine from them. (~60Mbps) However downloading from either Nvidia or AMD is very slow, less then 1Mbps. I could try downloading from another content provider if you have a suggestion. (I chose those two because they have a decent size of file, and are fairly well known providers of content at speed.)

schwatzz

Distinguished
Might haver something to do with the content delivery networks such as Akamai. For example, data is stored on an Akamai server in the USA, normally you would retrieve data from the nearest server, but your ISP may have a a temporary issue and the data now has to be retrieved from the source, e.g. the U.K. Have you changed your DNS recently? Try using OpenDNS or Google public DNS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

Reactions: Rorschach91
Solution

Endeavor01

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

Can you see if this is just your machine? Try a download on your smartphone, it could be some kind of restriction on the router's behalf on downloaded files and media prioritization.

FinneganFalco

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
I believe I have solved it. While hunting around for a solution. One suggested turning off IPv6. After doing that I found that I can now download the driver files from Nvidia and AMD at ~30Mbps.

Sorry to trouble everyone. Shwatzz, thanks, your suggestion helped me notice the IPv6 suggestion (The setting to change DNS is very near the setting to turn off IPv6)

Endeavor01

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

Glad you got it working, Make sure you mark Shwatzz as best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.