Can we choose hdd when installing windows on??

Ray_68

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
Thanks in ADVANCE
I Want to know that i have 2 hard drives and i want to install windows 10
1.250gb sata
2.500gb sata
i want to make partition of ist hdd and then install window 10 on 1st hdd and dont touch and fromat my data on second hdd
So it is possible or not???

Solution

My brain wasn't working earlier, I read your drive sizes as 1250gb and 2500gb which isn't that hard to believe these days. 232gb from a 250gb ssd is normal once formatted

I assume by get you mean use? BY data, do you mean documents and music and so on? or game files?
if its just documents etc you want to move onto ssd, you can copy files off it once you put it in PC again You might need to take ownership of the old...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Safest way to do that is turn off PC power, unplug it and disconnect the other hdd from power before installing win 10. This also achieves a goal of not letting Win 10 decide to install any info on the 2nd hdd as it likes to share its boot partition around and if it put it on the 2nd drive, and you removed it later, win 10 would have problems booting up.

Then once 1st hdd boots, turn PC power off and plug the other drive back in

You can do it in the installer if you don't want to d/c power from hdd but just make sure it only puts windows on drive 0 - you just have to do a custom install, see step 13 here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Ray_68

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017

There is SOO much important data saved on second hdd which i get from old laptop and i want to install it in desktop pc
after installing windows 10 in 1st hdd ....... Partition of 250gb (232.2 show) 1st hdd is :
C:/ 172.2Gb For OS.
E:/ 60Gb For music/movies etc.
F:/500Gb (475.4 show) For Games only.this disk conatain my all data maybe 300Gb.This is Old laptop hdd want to install on pc without format it or without lossing DATA.
Is there any chance to get files on the new hard-drive after installing ON PC and without formatting it ?
I DON'T WANNA ANY KIND OF RISK

Colif

Win 11 Master

My brain wasn't working earlier, I read your drive sizes as 1250gb and 2500gb which isn't that hard to believe these days. 232gb from a 250gb ssd is normal once formatted

I assume by get you mean use? BY data, do you mean documents and music and so on? or game files?
if its just documents etc you want to move onto ssd, you can copy files off it once you put it in PC again You might need to take ownership of the old folders as Windows 10 is smart and will know you didn't create the files on current user
Are the games steam or Origin games as you can re use the game libraries on a new PC, but if they normal game installs then you may have to reinstall them anyway for them to work
World of Warcraft can also be reused without the need to re download it.

If anything really valuable on the drive you cannot afford to lose, I would upload it to a cloud as backup or onto a USB stick. There is always a risk something goes wrong but that is true regardless of your actions. Backups are your friend.

Solution