Question Can we come accross overheating effect in Raspberry Pi?

May 30, 2019
Can we come across overheating effect in Raspberry Pi? If yes, please let me know other pitfalls as well. Also do you feel Raspberry Pi can replace the Personal PC, and that too at current cost that we beer for it currently?

Sam Jones

Last edited:

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
The first step in overcoming heating issues would be to ensure there is proper air flow. I have one that is not in a case, but in a 20cm high x 30cm wide by 40cm deep cabinet by itself. Laying flat it had problems, on one edge it works fine.

The next is heat sinks. I have another laying flat in a case on top of a cabinet. It works fine.

The next step is a fan. I have no experience with those. Cases with fans are easily found.

In general, I would agree with USAFRet, right tool for the right job, but who hasn't used a screwdriver as a hammer? I actually use the latter of my two Pi's (I must write r here ;) ) for half of my Arduino development. I remote into it with VNC and store data on a Network Attached Storage (NAS). But stand alone, no. You'll still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse. You'll find better suited computers for under USD$80.

May 30, 2019
The first step in overcoming heating issues would be to ensure there is proper air flow. I have one that is not in a case, but in a 20cm high x 30cm wide by 40cm deep cabinet by itself. Laying flat it had problems, on one edge it works fine.

The next is heat sinks. I have another laying flat in a case on top of a cabinet. It works fine.

The next step is a fan. I have no experience with those. Cases with fans are easily found.

In general, I would agree with USAFRet, right tool for the right job, but who hasn't used a screwdriver as a hammer? I actually use the latter of my two Pi's (I must write r here ;) ) for half of my Arduino development. I remote into it with VNC and store data on a Network Attached Storage (NAS). But stand alone, no. You'll still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse. You'll find better suited computers for under USD$80.
Thanks for your answer. That helped. Regards Sam Jones