Discussion Can we DELETE Private Message/PM conversations permanently ??

Hi Everyone,

Okay, I will try to keep this short, and simple. Is there any way to DELETE Private Messages/PMs from our Inbox ?

Actually, the point is that I get a LOT of PMs on almost a daily basis from Original posters/OP, asking for some technical help/support. But only those OPs PM me, when I have posted a reply under their said thread/topic. Most of the OPs have done this. Sometimes random members also contact me though.

All this is actually disturbing me to some extent, so I want to delete some of the messages, if not ALL.

Also, let be make this crystal clear, that I don't intend to offend anyone by any means necessary, because I know others are desperate to seek help about their problem to get resolved, but the point is I don't use PMs to provide any support whatsoever, but only for personal off topic discussions.

All the TECH queries should be answered under the said Topic/thread, so that other forum members and Moderators can also have a look, and provide support.

But again, NO offense to any forum member who has sent me any PMs till now, and also for the future, if any OP contacts me. I don't have any problem with this, and I also don't want to disable the PM feature (I think we have this option).

I just only want to DELETE the PMs, because my Inbox has been flooded by PMs, lol. There is no option to delete any conversation, IMO. If there is a solution, then kindly let me know. Only the following 3 options are there, IMO.

HFL69rL.png

Thanks for reading, NICK.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX
I agree this should be an option.

I dont get a ton of pms so this isnt much of an issue for me, but it does happen.

I dont get why people just stop replying to a thread and choose to pm you instead. I usually respond briefly.

Other people asking for input on their thread with 1 message is ok. Cough Cough Valeman who does it weekly.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
reasons for PM:
  • Some people don't know you have received notification of a reply on thread and are just trying to help
  • Some don't know how to reply on threads
90% of time I ask them to make a new post.
Or I quote what they said in PM and copy it into the thread so more people can possibly help.

I have 14 pages of conversations, define having too many?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
reasons for PM:
  • Some people don't know you have received notification of a reply on thread and are just trying to help
  • Some don't know how to reply on threads
90% of time I ask them to make a new post.
Or I quote what they said in PM and copy it into the thread so more people can possibly help.

I have 14 pages of conversations, define having too many?
14?? I have 138!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Gam3r01 just defined too many :)

gosh, you should have deleted a few on old forums when you had a chance

Mind you, I have conversations that go for multiple pages so I guess it could be same if 2 of us didn't just make conversations last over several weeks... I always wondered if there was a page break on old software but I believe I proved there wasn't.

One conversation has 363 replies in it, 15 pages of posts on current software. Average conversation is only about 1 reply though

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
half mod team have something in sig saying "only PM for moderation duties" as otherwise they would never get anything done :)

I haven't as I don't get that many and tend to promote them posting in forums, or I just ignore question if its something I can't help with. Fact you can leave conversations helps as well.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
From all appearances the "Leave" combined with the "Ignore" choice is a delete.

Since one can check off as many of one's existing PMs as one wishes before invoking the control for handling selected at the bottom, this is pretty straightforward.

It appears that "Leave" coupled with the other option is more of a "hide until or unless there is ever a response to this private message exchange again."

I have gotten remarkably few PMs here compared to other venues. I make a point of telling folks asking for private help that this is a violation of the spirit of the law (if not the letter, and it is an "of the letter" violation in some places) of tech support forums. The idea is that others can benefit from the exchanges for solving any given issue and have that information available via searching. I don't give support help via PM or e-mail on principle.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
I make a point of telling folks asking for private help that this is a violation of the spirit of the law (if not the letter, and it is an "of the letter" violation in some places) of tech support forums. The idea is that others can benefit from the exchanges for solving any given issue and have that information available via searching.

I Totally agree on this point.

Sorry to ask more questions, but anyone else havebthis issue.

When i click to add an emoji it takes like 15 seconds to open the emoji selector. Its less time on desktop, but still a few seconds.

Just a little anoying.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Sorry to ask more questions, but anyone else havebthis issue.

When i click to add an emoji it takes like 15 seconds to open the emoji selector. Its less time on desktop, but still a few seconds.

Just a little anoying.

I'm not seeing this issue, for me it pops right up. Maybe try clearing your Cache and Cookies and see if that fixes it.