[SOLVED] Can we disable i5 10400 cores to save power?

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Want to build system with i5 10400 or maybe i3 10100.
Uses: light task, office task, media center, some time to download file overnight (connection speed kinda slow here).
Also, as an energy saver alternative from my older system (noted in signature).
And, as a future gift for my son. Still years to come, around five or six years more.

It's the same TDP and power usage (estimation calculated by Outervision PSU calculator),
So, I'd prefer 10400 in case for some extras, like some light gaming on weekend without any noticeable issues, or needs for upgrade.

Still, I'm curious, can I save power more on this new system by disabling some cores? Or just let it be? Or just go for i3 10100?

Ps. I want to use low wattage PSU and won't add dedicated graphic or do some upgrades in the future. It'll be as it is for years.

Solution
You can disable cores using Intel XTU or some bios settings. Personally, id just get the 10100 and save a buck instead of spending more on the 10400 only to disable its core benefit over the i3
Get the 10400 of the two listed....

Leave it alone.

Perhaps it will draw 125 watts (total) from the wall when at load, and, 25 watts when idle....

If you decide that even the factory turbo clocks are 'just too much' you can always lower the clock speeds (and lower core voltage) by 100-200 MHz within Intel's XTU...

Reactions: N3wb13g

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
You can disable cores using Intel XTU or some bios settings. Personally, id just get the 10100 and save a buck instead of spending more on the 10400 only to disable its core benefit over the i3
Need your opinion, with fewer cores, will 10100 lasts for years? As it will be the first system for my son later. Letting him do some tasks and entry or med gaming that aren't GPU-bounded.

1. Just let it be. At near idle, the difference at the wall between all cores and some "disabled" will be minimal.
Ok, got your point.

There really is very little reason to disable cores, the CPU already downclocks substantially to save power, powering off a few cores will not put any sort of noticeable dent into your power bill or power consumption.
Got it.

Get the 10400 of the two listed....

If you decide that even the factory turbo clocks are 'just too much' you can always lower the clock speeds (and lower core voltage) by 100-200 MHz within Intel's XTU...
Noted. So what's your reason for 10400? Need your opinion about it.