[SOLVED] Can we install 2 OS on 2 SSD in the same system

atinesh.s

Commendable
Nov 11, 2018
Hello guys, I am planning to add an SSD in my system. Currently, I have a dual booted system with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 on a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD. I do my professional work on Ubuntu and open windows very rarely just to play games on weekends :p

I have a small confusion. I can add SSD in 2 ways
  • Option #1: 500gb SSD (Ubuntu + Windows)
  • Option #2: 250gb SSD (Ubuntu) and 250gb SSD (Windows) [use bootmenu to switch between OS]

Pros Option #2
  • If any os gets corrupted then I can just reinstall it without bothering about bootloader and partition

Cons Option #1
  • If windows got corrupted then I need to install ubuntu unnecessarily
  • If ubuntu got corrupted then I will need to play with partitions in windows and install ubuntu

Option #2 seems a better choice, has anybody used this configuration in their system. what will be the cons of using option #2.

Solution
Option 2 is the way to go, IMHO.
Individual drives for each OS. Dualboot like that has no real downsides. But a 250GB SSD might be 'too small' if it is the only Windows drive.

Install each OS with only that desired drive connected. Reconnect other drives later.
Choose which to boot into when you power up.

USAFRet

Titan
Individual drives for each OS. Dualboot like that has no real downsides. But a 250GB SSD might be 'too small' if it is the only Windows drive.

Install each OS with only that desired drive connected. Reconnect other drives later.

Reactions: atinesh.s
Solution

atinesh.s

Commendable
Nov 11, 2018

Currently my windows took only 40gb, I have dumped all the games in HDD. So why 250gb SSD won't be enough.

TRENDING THREADS