Question Can we install Win 7 in i9-10900 system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

kanewolf

Titan
We are planning to build this i9-10900 system on a old chassis.

This is the part list, which we tried to make it public
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jgy2001/saved/#view=66KqmG

Can we install this old Windows 7 64 bit in this system? Thanks.
You list isn't public.
The motherboard is the important item. You should see if there are other people that have posted that they have successfully installed Win 7 on the specific motherboard you are using.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
installing win 7 is the easy part. getting drivers for everything is the real question so you can use all the features the hardware offers.

your mobo may or may not have win 7 drivers. if it does not, you can often find them individually on a feature by feature basis. for instance, the ethernet might be a boradcom chip which has win 7 drivers on its website directly. one at a time you can most of the time track down drivers. but it is time consuming at times.

look about first to be sure it is worth the time to find them all before going through the trouble. win update still works and it will still find drivers like it always has so you might get lucky there as well.

the ethernet might be a boradcom chip which has win 7 drivers on its website directly.
Borat approve...but is written with t not d.
images

Since no one has asked...Why Win 7?
Well, old chassis...makes sense to have an old OS running on it.
¯\(ツ)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not sure what old chassis means, but a 10900 is new enough to have been made without win 7 consideration.

not like you can drop that cpu on a 7 yr old mobo or something....

but it is easy to do either way. i've installed it on all kinds of new hardware "that does not support win 7"

some folks just want to use it (like me, i use win 7 as my daily OS) and i'm ok with that :)

some others... well.... can't really understand it and thus tend to discourage anyone from trying since they do not wish to do it.....

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011

kanewolf

Titan
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jgy2001/saved/YHFV7P

Asus PRIME Z490-A ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

Think have made this part list public.

If USB 3 is the problem, we can live with USB 2.

Want very much to live with Win 7. That is a must.

Very tired of continue unending upgrade our office PCs with tons of bugs and shut downs. We have trashs all the new windows machine. We either go for Chrome books or Android Tablets. No new windows.
You might google Asus PRIME Z490-A "windows 7" There are threads like this -- https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/windows-7-x64-on-z490.281830/
Since Asus doesn't have any drivers (I think the 200 series motherboards were the last with support) you are on your own.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've posted this many times before. here's how to get your win 7 iso to install

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-7-no-keyboard-mouse-on-i3-8100.3757276/post-22656576

you will have to find the drivers for the mobo one at a time but it can usually be done. identify the network chip, go to that website and get the driver. identify the next missing driver, identify the EXACT part and go to its site for driver....... lather rinse repeat. will take some leg work but i can usually find all the important ones. windows update still gets stuff that is otherwise "unavailable" as well, so make sure to run that and see what it finds.

the post awarded the solved vote in that thread also has a few other ways to do the same thing.

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
well, why Win 7?
Sick and tired of constant Win upgrade, new hardware to upgrade, new whole bunch of applications for new Win. New Drivers. Ton of bugs. Lots of debugging and patches and re-do work as unpaid workers for Microsoft. Next year, another new version. No stop for new revenue stream for Microsoft.
We all agree there are absolutely, definitly, no, none benefit for all new Win. None we can do with ANY benefit with old Win 7.

USAFRet

Titan
well, why Win 7?
Sick and tired of constant Win upgrade, new hardware to upgrade, new whole bunch of applications for new Win. New Drivers. Ton of bugs. Lots of debugging and patches and re-do work as unpaid workers for Microsoft. Next year, another new version. No stop for new revenue stream for Microsoft.
We all agree there are absolutely, definitly, no, none benefit for all new Win. None we can do with ANY benefit with old Win 7.
Seeing as a Win 7 license upgrades to WIn 10 for free, that negates the 'revenue stream' concept.

I personally have not had an application that works in Win 7 that failed to work in Win 10.
Both at home and at work.

Updates within the specific OS?
Yes, that has happened since computers were a thing.
Win 7 got routine updates, just like XP, Vista, 8, 10, 11.....

well, why Win 7?
Why don't we just extend your logic all the way back to DOS/Windows 3.x? Why did we need to evolve from that?

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
We have one Microsoft Surface build in Windows 11. GREAT PAIN.
Every morning immediately after power on. We are automatically go into update mode. No option. Must update. We are sitting there all morning just to take care of bug testing for Microsoft. Could not do anything else.
Whole office discard all the Microsoft Surface. Thank you very much.
We replace with Chrome books. Works fine. Great. Cheap.

USAFRet

Titan
Every morning immediately after power on. We are automatically go into update mode. No option. Must update. We are sitting there all morning just to take care of bug testing for Microsoft. Could not do anything else.
Meanwhile, none of my Win 10 or 11 systems do that.

Then again, I don't have a Surface. Only desktops and real laptops.

Reactions: Corwin65

Endre

Reputable

Hello!

There is an option, in the settings, that allow users to delay updates for 5 weeks.
Please enable it!

Status
Not open for further replies.