Can websites/browsers detect screen/web-cam capture/recording?

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
If hypothetically I left Firefox(video playing) running in the background could it detect that I was recording my screen? Thought Firefox closed, but apparently minimized instead and was still running in the background while I was playing around with recording/capturing wbe-cam and screen. Recently installed Linux(Elementary OS) on my laptop and been playing around with different things to see how they perform/work.

jr9

Estimable
Any running process can access your webcam hardware if it gets access to it. The program doesn't even need to have a GUI; it just needs to have a process running with access to the webcam hardware. Webcams can even be activated remotely if the system is compromised. This is one reason why many laptop users tape over their webcams.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Not concerned about my webcam as it's non functional(time wasted trying to get it to work). What about sites like youtube and netflix can detect/know if I'm recording my screen? Didn't realize firefox and netflix was still running when I was playing around with recording my screen.