Jul 17, 2020
Can we configure a Wi-Fi router in such a way, like - out of these three devices, only one device can connect to the wifi at a time? If Yes, How?

Actually I want to provide internet to others, but I can't trust them that they will use only one device at a time. So I want to configure the router in that way. Please Help

A very BIG THANKS 🙏 to anyone who replies.

Solution
Too many different brands of router. Some commercial AP have a feature that you can limit devices.

I have not seen that feature in quite some time on a consumer router. It is generally done within the Wifi chip and after the FCC made them lock things down a bit better I have not seen this feature either.

There is no way to manipulate the firmware in the wifi chips. This might be done via the router software maybe limiting mac addresses or something with QoS. It is not a feature you will find in standard consumer firmware image. You would have to look at third party firmware.

The only other way I could think you could do it with a radius server using enterprise mode on the wifi. Each machine would have their own...
Too many different brands of router. Some commercial AP have a feature that you can limit devices.

I have not seen that feature in quite some time on a consumer router. It is generally done within the Wifi chip and after the FCC made them lock things down a bit better I have not seen this feature either.

There is no way to manipulate the firmware in the wifi chips. This might be done via the router software maybe limiting mac addresses or something with QoS. It is not a feature you will find in standard consumer firmware image. You would have to look at third party firmware.

The only other way I could think you could do it with a radius server using enterprise mode on the wifi. Each machine would have their own login rather than a common shared key. You still likely would have to write your own script to determine if someone else was logged in.

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
Can we configure a Wi-Fi router in such a way, like - out of these three devices, only one device can connect to the wifi at a time? If Yes, How?

Actually I want to provide internet to others, but I can't trust them that they will use only one device at a time. So I want to configure the router in that way. Please Help

A very BIG THANKS 🙏 to anyone who replies.
I would set up a guest network with only a limited number of DHCP addresses to hand out, depending on what router you have this may be an option. You cannot do it by individual but you can limit the total devices on the guest network.

If it is on your main home network you can accomplish the same thing by giving all of your wireless devices preferred DHCP addresses and leave just a few, say 3 or 4 in the DHCP assignable range, again depending on your specific router.

And then inform everyone that you have a limit on devices, so please only use one at a time.