[SOLVED] Can Windows 10 read a Win 95/98 Ibm Ide Hd with correct adaptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2021
I hooked up the Hd with my universal Usb adaptor and it does power up and turn. It just does not read. It was in working condition when it went to storage 10 years ago. Can Windows 10 read a Win 95/98 Ibm Ide Hd with correct adaptor?

Solution
Can Windows 10 read a Win 95/98 Ibm Ide Hd with correct adaptor?
Sure, it can. If everything is properly connected.
Used file system on the HDD has to be windows 10 readable - FAT, FAT32, NTFS.
If it is some linux or mac specific file system, then windows 10 will not read it without specific software.
Apr 27, 2021
Yes, normal ide drives are.. normal.
As long as it's dos or windows formatted it should show up.
does your usb adaptor/hub have external power and do you provide that?
Yes, it has external power provided and you can hear it power up and turn correctly. I have had success reading other hard drives just not this older ide. I have swapped it from master to slave as well to test.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Those universal USB adapters are a mixed bag, quite few of those USB1/2 don't work on modern systems. I would suggest getting one of those SATA/PATA adapters, they are the surest bet.

There are countless adapters to choose from, their construction is more or less the same. One thing to remeber with those is to have the jumper on HDD set to master, as cable select or slave will not work for obvoius reasons.

something like this is pretty much all you need to pull data from an old drive, hell you can even leave it the PC and pretend it's really sata drive.

https://www.amazon.com/40Pin-Female-Adapter-Converter-Desktop/dp/B0823Q33PT

For all means and purposes it'll make you PATA drive talk like sata and walk like sata, maybe a very tired sata but that's to be expected with those old drives.

Last edited:
10 years sitting on a shelf, in what conditions? A drive that old that's been sitting for that long, it's very likely that bitrot has taken its toll and you'll not get anything usable off it. And, there was a line of IBM drives from that era that would simply fail a head, thus rendering the drive completely unusable. They would spin up but be completely unreadable.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
10 years sitting on a shelf, in what conditions? A drive that old that's been sitting for that long, it's very likely that bitrot has taken its toll and you'll not get anything usable off it. And, there was a line of IBM drives from that era that would simply fail a head, thus rendering the drive completely unusable. They would spin up but be completely unreadable.

Hehe i see someone still remembers those IBM/Hitachi "DeathStar" puppies. Whole new glass platter material was one huge cluster...k of a situation. Those drives sure went down with a bang, or should i say a waiter tumbling down a staircase with platter full of champagne glasses :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.