Can windows 8 be installed on self built computer at home?

LinComp

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi, if i build a new desktop with a new hard drive or ssd then can i install windows 8?

why i am asking this is because i found out that the windows 8 OS is available as windows 8 upgrade or windows 8 pro upgrade that means we can only upgrade an older version of windows 7 or xp etc to windows 8 and windows 8 cannot be installed as by itself, am i right that there must be an older version of windows in the computer to install windows 8 so those who build a new computer at home by themselves with an empty hard disc or ssd cannot install windows 8? Thanks!

Solution
you want a system builder version of windows 8 and then you can install it without needing to upgrade from another copy of windows, look to getting a 64bit copy of windows 8 home (might just be called windows 8) you do not need pro for home use.
you want a system builder version of windows 8 and then you can install it without needing to upgrade from another copy of windows, look to getting a 64bit copy of windows 8 home (might just be called windows 8) you do not need pro for home use.

Solution