[SOLVED] Can Wireless Keyboard be Hacked and Keylogged?

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi,

I was thinking of buying RF-based audio listening system for TV until I read that IR-based device despite its short and direct range is safer for health and has no delay compared to RF-based devices. Before that I read that people who use Bluetooth connection report longer delays than when using 2.5GHz devices that causes synchronization delay between audio and video.

Anyway that article mentions that wireless keyboards and mice can be hacked and their communication decrypted as some companies conducted security vulnerabilities testing. Does that mean that wireless keyboards can be keylogged? How can hacker detect wireless broadcast signal? And not sure what hacker can do with mice without having access to PC's screen and what is the use of that. This is the article: https://www.shieldyourbody.com/infrared-emf/

Solution
I was thinking of buying RF-based audio listening system for TV until I read that IR-based device despite its short and direct range is safer for health and has no delay compared to RF-based devices. Before that I read that people who use Bluetooth connection report longer delays than when using 2.5GHz devices that causes synchronization delay between audio and video.
IR based devices require a clear line of sight between the emitter and receiver. Also the reason for Bluetooth delays is due to the overhead when processing Bluetooth data since media streams have to be compressed and decompressed as well being buffered to soften transmission hitches.

Anyway that article mentions that wireless keyboards and mice can be hacked...
D

Deleted member 14196

If radio frequency was actually harmful to you then you would be dead already from all the RF that’s blasting all around you constantly

That is the most ridiculous thing that people propagate is that RF is deadly or unhealthy and it’s not

Radio and television stations would’ve killed us all by now so please don’t believe any bull crap that people post on the Internet

Reactions: Boris_yo
IR based devices require a clear line of sight between the emitter and receiver. Also the reason for Bluetooth delays is due to the overhead when processing Bluetooth data since media streams have to be compressed and decompressed as well being buffered to soften transmission hitches.

Anyway that article mentions that wireless keyboards and mice can be hacked and their communication decrypted as some companies conducted security vulnerabilities testing. Does that mean that wireless keyboards can be keylogged? How can hacker detect wireless broadcast signal? And not sure what hacker can do with mice without having access to PC's screen and what is the use of that. This is the article: https://www.shieldyourbody.com/infrared-emf/
Any wireless device can have their signals intercepted and captured. As for how they can detect signals, most protocols use a specific frequency, so as long as the person knows which frequency is used, they can pick up data from that. For instance, you can buy Wi-Fi sniffers that capture data over Wi-Fi. I myself have used other wireless sniffers when debugging products at work.

However, unless you're in the middle of nowhere, it'll take a lot of effort for a hacker to sniff for your data specifically. There are tons of devices on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

Reactions: Boris_yo
Solution