[SOLVED] Can XP still be usable in 2022?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2022
Like some updates from NOT microsoft, but rather the community. I loved windows XP, and still do. I wanna run XP on my old pc without browser limitations. Oh yea and software too.

Solution
@ breadddd....

Last comment I can make on this thread (unless you ask for more, or I get kick/banned) is this:

I don't even understand why there is a Windows XP section on Tom's Hardware. The few times I come here asking a Q any more I am assaulted by 2 or 3 really really smart people who immediately inform me that I'm an idiot for using XP. And they never come close to offering an actual solution to my query. Why not just change the name of this place to Tom's Windows 10 ONLY chat?

On the other hand, if you go to the WindowsXP forum I posted a link to above, you will likely get 2 or 3 quick replies and set you on the road to success.

My boss at work still uses Windows 95 and goes online with it.... No problem. So don't...

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
Millions are still using XP and going online with no problems. There are quite a few browsers to choose from that work fine.

For updates thru March 2016 go here:
https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10321

Another help and support site:

Basilisk55 is a popular browser:
https://o.rthost.win/basilisk/?sort=date&order=desc

Chrome360 is also popular (read thread)
https://www.xpforums.com/threads/360-extreme-explorer-chrome-69-for-windows-xp.934574/#post-3268214

Wolf

Reactions: Wilcal
Feb 23, 2022
Millions are still using XP and going online with no problems. There are quite a few browsers to choose from that work fine.

For updates thru March 2016 go here:
https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10321

Another help and support site:

Basilisk55 is a popular browser:
https://o.rthost.win/basilisk/?sort=date&order=desc

Chrome360 is also popular (read thread)
https://www.xpforums.com/threads/360-extreme-explorer-chrome-69-for-windows-xp.934574/#post-3268214

Wolf
Thanks

Well, if having a computer with some really old hardware that doesn't offer drivers for OS later than XP - and doesn't need online access, the I guess XP can do - sort of.

However - my personal take is running XP on an old computer just for internet access, is simply a very bad idea.

I have a old but still usable Acer Travelmate 630 (bought in 2003), and I installed Elive Linux on it. It's based on Debian 32 bit and proved capable to work on that old hardware with little RAM (1GB installed). Other distros that may work on same old hardware is Debian itself and Bunsenlabs.
Also, as long as the CPU have SSE2 support, most web browsers should work.
This is a much more safe option than using XP because after all those distros mention get updates.

Honestly i just need it to be usable for basic internet browsing and playing some youtube videos, for my grandma lol.
Forgetting the issues of security using an outdated, unsupported OS, there's almost no modern software support either. The last version of Firefox that supports Windows XP was 5 years ago. The last version of Chrome was nearly 6 years ago.

Just stick Linux on this computer.

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
@ breadddd....

Last comment I can make on this thread (unless you ask for more, or I get kick/banned) is this:

I don't even understand why there is a Windows XP section on Tom's Hardware. The few times I come here asking a Q any more I am assaulted by 2 or 3 really really smart people who immediately inform me that I'm an idiot for using XP. And they never come close to offering an actual solution to my query. Why not just change the name of this place to Tom's Windows 10 ONLY chat?

On the other hand, if you go to the WindowsXP forum I posted a link to above, you will likely get 2 or 3 quick replies and set you on the road to success.

My boss at work still uses Windows 95 and goes online with it.... No problem. So don't believe all the hysteria these folks go out of their way to throw at you!

Happy trails,
Wolf

Reactions: Wilcal

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
@ breadddd....

My boss at work still uses Windows 95 and goes online with it.... No problem. So don't believe all the hysteria these folks go out of their way to throw at you!

Happy trails,
Wolf

As a moderator of this site I took an interest in your comment and took the liberty of browsing through your post history. ONE post that you made someone replied to you, very nicely, that you should not be exposing an XP based system to the internet. Otherwise you received help and had in depth conversations with various forum members on your questions.

Now you have had multiple replies of yours in other XP threads deleted by moderators, specifically due to the fact you are advising people to utilize software that breaks windows authenticity and other, for lack of a better term, "piracy" type hacks. This, as you have been informed repeatedly, is a violation of the rules of the site. It's there plainly to see in our rules link at the top.

There are plenty of questions being answered in the Windows XP forum for people looking to run old hardware, games, etc that will only work with XP. But when someone comes in and wants to expose a system to the internet, especially one for a non-savvy user (their grandma) it would be downright immoral of us to encourage that behavior. XP has NO current security, if "grandma" enters her credit card or social security, or any other information on a website it will likely immediately be exposed to bad actors.

So we will, at all times, discourage this activity, because this is a WELL KNOWN vulnerability. Your anecdotal evidence of your "boss" running Windows 95 with "no problems" does not trump years and years of warnings, experience, and so on that tells us that this is a horrible idea.

Feel free to continue to use Tom's Hardware or not, however if you continue to suggest hacks that break our rules, or cause arguments and give dangerous advice, well as you said your account will be sanctioned and/or banned.

Solution
Feb 23, 2022
As a moderator of this site I took an interest in your comment and took the liberty of browsing through your post history. ONE post that you made someone replied to you, very nicely, that you should not be exposing an XP based system to the internet. Otherwise you received help and had in depth conversations with various forum members on your questions.

Now you have had multiple replies of yours in other XP threads deleted by moderators, specifically due to the fact you are advising people to utilize software that breaks windows authenticity and other, for lack of a better term, "piracy" type hacks. This, as you have been informed repeatedly, is a violation of the rules of the site. It's there plainly to see in our rules link at the top.

There are plenty of questions being answered in the Windows XP forum for people looking to run old hardware, games, etc that will only work with XP. But when someone comes in and wants to expose a system to the internet, especially one for a non-savvy user (their grandma) it would be downright immoral of us to encourage that behavior. XP has NO current security, if "grandma" enters her credit card or social security, or any other information on a website it will likely immediately be exposed to bad actors.

So we will, at all times, discourage this activity, because this is a WELL KNOWN vulnerability. Your anecdotal evidence of your "boss" running Windows 95 with "no problems" does not trump years and years of warnings, experience, and so on that tells us that this is a horrible idea.

Feel free to continue to use Tom's Hardware or not, however if you continue to suggest hacks that break our rules, or cause arguments and give dangerous advice, well as you said your account will be sanctioned and/or banned.
Ok. ill just use windows 7 on that pc then.

Feb 23, 2022

Also, is there any way to delete this thread? Feels kinda useless to keep it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ok. ill just use windows 7 on that pc then.

@breaddddd Good call, no matter what he says XP is an awful idea. Windows 7 will work, but is also no longer supported and will, over time, become less and less safe. You can likely install ChromeOS on that old hardware which is a super simple browser based OS that is fully secure and will allow Grandma to safely browse all the internet and youtube she wants. It also is basically 0 maintenance, makes life easier for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.