[SOLVED] Can you actually take an image of your system drive on a mechanical hard drive and put it on an nvme drive?

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Can you actually take an image of your system drive on a mechanical hard drive and put it on an nvme drive?

Thanks in advance for the help

Solution
Shouldnt it be able to give me at least 500-600MBps? Thats still much faster than my mechanical drives
Which is exactly what a SATA III SSD drive will do.

In that system, a 970 (or even worse a 980), will give zero performance difference over a Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500. SATA III SSD.
And those WILL work 100%.

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Yes.
Macrium Reflect can do this easily.

What, specifically, are you looking to do?

HI , I want to get an nvme drive and put my os and all the programs I got my c drive on it, while a clean install is the best thing to do, I wanna do that later because ive got lots of programs configured and it would waste me a day or two at least

What is the make/model of your motherboard? Presumably it can mount a m.2 pcie ssd.
Easily done.
Buy a samsung ssd of sufficient capacity to hold the contents of your C drive HDD
Install the m.2
Download the samsung nvme driver, the ssd migration app and instructions here:
You install the driver and run the app.
When done, set the boot order to the new m.2 drive.
You can then do what you wish with the old HDD.
Keep it as a backup in time snapshot.
Or, consider repurposing as an external backup device.

Reactions: majidok

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
What is the make/model of your motherboard? Presumably it can mount a m.2 pcie ssd.
Easily done.
Buy a samsung ssd of sufficient capacity to hold the contents of your C drive HDD
Install the m.2
Download the samsung nvme driver, the ssd migration app and instructions here:
You install the driver and run the app.
When done, set the boot order to the new m.2 drive.
You can then do what you wish with the old HDD.
Keep it as a backup in time snapshot.
Or, consider repurposing as an external backup device.

Unfortunately its an old asus P8P67

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
DO NOT BOTHER with an NVMe drive in that system. With or without a PCIe adapter.

You won't be able to boot from that drive.

A SATA III SSD will do just fine, be a drop in replacement, and you won't notice ANY "speed" difference.

Shouldnt it be able to give me at least 500-600MBps? Thats still much faster than my mechanical drives

Adding a pcie m.2 device via a pcie adapter might work for data files.
But you will not be able to put windows on it since it will not be bootable on your motherboard. Windows C drive is where the big benefit of any ssd comes.

You will get a massive boost in capability by simply using a sata 860 evo 2.5" ssd.
Random I/O will be some 40x faster than the fastest 10k HDD.
That is what windows does 90% of the time.
Truth is that random I/O performance on a sata ssd and a nvme will be almost identical.

In sequential performance, the 860 evo ssd devices say up to 550mbps.
That is about 4x faster than a hdd.
That is with a synthetc sequential benchmark that I would not put much weight on.
That is when running a 6mbps sata capable motherboard which you do have.
Larger devices tend to run a bit faster.

Sequential benchmarks on a pcie ssd compared to a sata ssd will indeed be
much faster. But, in practice, you will hardly notice the difference.
Only on something like a virus scan, for example.

Bottom line.-----------------------------------------
You will love a 2.5" sata ssd.

Last edited:

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I also do have games, Many in the 50 gig category and some 100 even and well cod warzone that I dont play really , what about games? Are those mostly 4k too or sequential? im guessing the .big files are sequential at leats right or anything bigger than 4ks o basically most assets?

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Any of the current cloning/imaging tools will recreate partitions on the new drive just as they are on the old.

Hey ! Thanks for coming :D

Any chance I can actually make folders of those instead of partitions on the new drive? Ordering as we speak, Getting a 860 evo 250gb for boot and and 1 tb for games ! Gonna make a new system as soon as the 3070 or 3080 series card are spotted on planet earth then sell these and replace with nvme ones :D

USAFRet

Titan
Hey ! Thanks for coming :D

Any chance I can actually make folders of those instead of partitions on the new drive? Ordering as we speak, Getting a 860 evo 250gb for boot and and 1 tb for games ! Gonna make a new system as soon as the 3070 or 3080 series card are spotted on planet earth then sell these and replace with nvme ones :D
This is just a secondary drive?
Changing partitions into folders is done manually.

Create the relevant folders on the new drive.
Copy/paste the data in each partition as applicable.

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
This is just a secondary drive?
Changing partitions into folders is done manually.

Create the relevant folders on the new drive.
Copy/paste the data in each partition as applicable.

3rd and 4th drives , if the move from the boot drive a wd caviar black 1TB is successful iil retire that or maybe use as storage and after moving my steam library from the wd blue 1 TB that ive my steam games on gonna sell that most likely.

As for the partition problem I was thinking totally another thing so nevermind

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Well I went with a samsung 860evo and Samsung migration tool worked quite nicely so far.Thanks for the all the help . Many people helped so not sure who to choose as the best answer