Can you assign programs to a single core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iganc

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I have a dual core amd processor... and I'm just wondering if there is any way I can assign a game to run on only one processor?

The game is Warcraft 3, in case that matters...

I'm having trouble with timings, and for some reason i can't use any new patches of the game.

Please help :)

thanks

koolaidkitten

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Have you tried AMD's drivers that fix this issue?
I believe Microsoft also issued a patch to combat this as well.
Try both *single, not at same time*
And you can tell a program to use only a certain processor if you bring up the task manager while the program is running, then right clock on the process and set the affinity to either "0" or "1"

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
-ctrl-alt-del
-click processes
-right-click the program you want
-click Affinity
-check the CPU(s) on or off, whatever you want.

DONE. ;)

Now, here's the bonus question for the keener experts here, a cookie at least to the one that can answer this:

How to set affinity BEFORE you run an app? Apps that hog CPU resources (ie-certain games) that you have to continually reset the Affinity after the program launch is a serious PITA, especially ones that have to jump out of 3D GFX and back into Windows and again switch from Vista Basic to Aero, for example. So........how to control Affinity prior to app launch??? Anyone??

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
the closest things that come to mind, are amds dual core optimization download (that fixes timing issues with certain programs), and tomshardwares cpu affinity download... ...beyond those and any of the things suggested above, it wouldnt seem theres a way to change it at all, at least thats intuitive, aside from yet another application download, again.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Choirbass, you rock! :)

EXCEPT........one small problem: I don't think it works properly in Vista. It recognizes programs fine, but not all of them. For example, I set up the Task Assignment Manager, and add CoD2MP.exe as a Profile....keep the tool running.....and start Call of Duty 2...but it does NOT show up on the current applications running. At all. That is not good. Doesn't show Xfire, or other things running the in system tray either. Shows Battlefield 2 though.

Seems very selective about what application is shows as running, with no rhyme or reason AFAIK. :(

Any thoughts?

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005

Try imagecfg. I have used this on some programs it works fine your experience maybe different whatever.

G

Warcraft 3 should work fine on dual core CPU's. Are you applying the patches manually or getting them through battlenet?

Tofu953

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
i have a dual-core processor and i was wondering that if i were to assign Starcraft2 to only run on one core would it be faster...thanks

karunakar

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
if on windows platform
write a batch file like this.

open note pad and dump the following line.

start /AFFINITY <core no in hexa decimal> "program.exe"

now save it as xx.bat in same directory.

use bat file to start the program

-- karunakar

Status
Not open for further replies.