Can you backup and store on a nas at the same time

Clevis60

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I am going to build a nas so that my dad and I can backup and store personal photos and videos and ,are Shure they are safe I case of a fire can I backup my pc and store files on the same nas?

Nas type WD EX4 with 2 WD Red 2tb standers hdd

Solution
if you use the right software on the pc you can back up to the nas and save files to it at the same time. look at small biz backup software that once the first back up is made it wont need to do a full back up only add to the back up when a file is added or changed (incremental backups). then you can set a full back up once a week...once a month when the pc and nas are not beaning used. I would also look at cloud backup and do one of them every year or six months. the issue is hard drives will fail at some point even the nas will have a drive failure. with a backup of site it gives you one more level of protection in a fire or flood. gogole drive gives you 15g right now of free storage.
Yes you can direct your computers' backup software to backup to the NAS instead of an external drive.

Yes you can store your photos onto a shared folder on the NAS. However, unless those photos are also stored on another computer, they will need a backup of their own.

Also note that since your PC and NAS are presumably in the same house, a fire which destroys one will probably destroy the other. Important data should be backed up off-site. Whether that's cloud storage or a hard drive/USB flash drive you take to work and store in a drawer is up to you.

if you use the right software on the pc you can back up to the nas and save files to it at the same time. look at small biz backup software that once the first back up is made it wont need to do a full back up only add to the back up when a file is added or changed (incremental backups). then you can set a full back up once a week...once a month when the pc and nas are not beaning used. I would also look at cloud backup and do one of them every year or six months. the issue is hard drives will fail at some point even the nas will have a drive failure. with a backup of site it gives you one more level of protection in a fire or flood. gogole drive gives you 15g right now of free storage.

Solution

Clevis60

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Another question I have is because the nas is being stored in an detached garage with is rekindle off sight,mid I plug an Ethernet cable into the router and will both our computers be able to backup and store files at good speeds