Can You Believe It: GameStop Now Worth More Than AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoneone

May 27, 2011
Does this mean I can still sell my used ps3 games for pathetic dollars and watch the same used ps3 games be flipped around and re-sold to customers like me for nearly 5-10 times of what I turned them in for!? Well golly, please shaft me even more because I'm nearly bent over and head over heels weeeee!

lascar30

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
I hope that AMD comes back with new graphic cards and good CPU units. The ratio quality/price, AMD got it for sure. Keep it up.

G

The moment Intel put on the market the Core series, AMD lost the battle and never recovered. Only the ATI division remained competitive and I feel sad for them now because they would have probably fared better without AMD...

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]wlachan[/nom]The last thing I want would be an Intel monopoly. My next CPU will be an AMD.[/citation]Indeed Intel Monopoly is bad, but I doubt Intel will drop budget segment. Chances are only the top end CPU get more expensive than b4, the low/mid end segment is likely to keep the same.

If Intel think they can start charging $200 for celeron/Pentium class CPU, $500 for i5 then people would flop over to mobile market. I doubt Intel will drop budget segment

Phones are getting HDMI out connections, it wont be long they can be use as a desktop by adding keyboard + mouse connecter via mini usb, phone battery life problem? not a prob, I rather buy backup batteries for my phone than $2000-$3000 Intel midrange desktop.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
It's interesting, ARM Holdings is now far more valuable than AMD as well

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=AMD+ARM+Holdings

The latest licence deal between AMD and Intel means that the x86 licence CAN be transfered in a buyout, but only with Intels approval. I think ARM and AMD would be a fantastic pair. In one bound ARM performance could be closer to x86, and AMDs x86 chips could pick up some tricks for lower power draw.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]tbq[/nom]I just bought 100 more shares this morning. I doubt the company is going to go bankrupt anytime soon.[/citation]

100 shares is just wasting your time. They could double in value and your profit would be what an engineer makes in 1 day. They won't go bankrupt but I'm betting they'll be bought out by another company. Let's face it, AMD has pretty much thrown in the towel on innovation.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I'm doing my part in buying an AMD 7970. Especially at its new price, there is no comparison in bang per buck. Plus having twice the ram is good for future icenhancer mod for gta 5. Or eyefiniti.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Have you seen the prices on used games in Gamestop compared to how much they take them in for? Almost like scamming people. Best part is how many people still do it.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]When you release a statement basically saying you lost to intel what do you expect exactly? The entire middle to upper management at AMD needs to be fired asap if AMD has any hope of being relevant again.[/citation]
The funny thing is that they are already leaving

I really don't think there are to many left to fire. They already were fired after Bullcrapper was released or they decided to leave on their own soon after. Like I said I aklready said good riddance to them and I hope they do go down the toilet. Maybe Samung or Qualcomm will buiy them out and actually offer some real competion instead of crap.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]rds1220[/nom]Exactly what I was thinking. At this point I'm saying good riddance to AMD.[/citation]

AMD just brought some of their "old glory" from the Intel beating days as well as some new talent onboard, so I wouldn't count them out of the race just yet. It may take 3 years to see the fruits of this labor, but I think it will allow them to enter the mobile market and become closer to being competitive with Intel.

Personally - if that all pans out, I think any investment in AMD is wise long term investment. More of a portfolio choice and less of a daytrade pick.

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Enjoy your 2 generation behind CPU then.[/citation]

this makes you sound like you would enjoy a Intel monopoly >.>

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]100 shares is just wasting your time. They could double in value and your profit would be what an engineer makes in 1 day. They won't go bankrupt but I'm betting they'll be bought out by another company. Let's face it, AMD has pretty much thrown in the towel on innovation.[/citation]
I really wouldnt say AMD gave up on innovation. since back in the day amd did athlon 64(innovative and revolutionary), x86-64, the first true mass market quad core(phenom), the first mass market 6 core(phenom 2x6), a new module based architecture(bulldozer), and the apu. from the gpu side, theyve been extremely competent and efficient. theyre still being the old innovative amd. theyre just not really great at making theyre innovations efficient and competent as of late in the cpu.

my next build will definitely be amd. theyre CPUs are slower than intel, but in NO way are they bad. best support the underdog in this situation. Id hate to see amd just be bought off.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]100 shares is just wasting your time. They could double in value and your profit would be what an engineer makes in 1 day. They won't go bankrupt but I'm betting they'll be bought out by another company. Let's face it, AMD has pretty much thrown in the towel on innovation.[/citation]
Do you realize that Apple was valued at $14.49 10 years ago? With today's closing price of $701, 100 shares of that stock would net a profit of over $68,000. I'm not saying AMD is going to be the next Apple, but 100 shares on the cheap could really net some nice profit.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Damn it! Even though I buy mostly Intel and Nvidia I wish AMD would release something extraordinary and retake the crown. If they can't compete on CPU's then they should aim for making the best APU possible. They need even greater performance on their APU's and if they can make one that gives out great performance at medium quality in most games they'd have a winner without a doubt.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]rds1220[/nom]Maybe Samung or Qualcomm will buiy them out and actually offer some real competion instead of crap.[/citation]
If someone bought AMD, it would likely be for their patent inventory and ATI assets since Samsung and Qualcom have their own non-x86 CPUs with growing order books from customers who have little to no interest in x86 chips.

The end of x86 is coming but instead of Intel establishing IA64 as the new desktop standard as they predicted around 15 years ago, it looks like we are slowly headed towards an ARM64 future. Even Intel is taking an interest in ARM.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Damn it... I really don't want an Intel Monopoly. At least my laptop runs an AMD APU. (E350) I'm not planning to replace my machines anytime soon (the desktop runs an i5 750, for instance), but when I get around to replacing some other family members' machines, I'll seriously consider APUs.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Damn it! Even though I buy mostly Intel and Nvidia I wish AMD would release something extraordinary and retake the crown. If they can't compete on CPU's then they should aim for making the best APU possible. They need even greater performance on their APU's and if they can make one that gives out great performance at medium quality in most games they'd have a winner without a doubt.[/citation]
they already have trinity which was a really big improvement over llano which was already decent in low end gaming(the cheapest a4 could run arkham asylum and bioshock 30fps on med settings on my laptop). they just need to release it soon. the last time we saw the benches of trinity were in like june. at the time, trinity seemed a worthy release. but amd just delayed the thing to hell

Status
Not open for further replies.