Can you believe it?

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
It's easier to get an X800 XT PCIE card than an AGP version? At least according to what's on sale on Ebay. Curious and strange there aren't THAT many early adoptors out there are there?

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I wish I could be one of them. Ebay is full of the mafia I think. They smuggle all the [-peep-] in New York/New Jersey Harbor and sell stuff on ebay.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

Well considering that both ATI and nV probably expected a more succesful Prescott/PCIe launch than they got, they likely overproduced/ordered PCIe cards, and Underproduced/ordered AGP cards, when they expected to be shipping a bunch of PCIe cards, there's little option as to what to put it in, therefore a glut on the market. People are still overpricing the AGP versions, and this creates even more demand issues, like the guys who buy 20 X800XTPE or GF6800UE and sell them at MSRP + $50/100 (which inflates the price more [because sellers {including retailers} see others getting premiums, they want some of the action]).

The other thing is that there was ALOT of X800XTs at the very start (ATI released them all at once), but after those cleared out the demand was still there but supplies evaporated to nil, and replacements weren't shipping fast enough. When they stockpile them just before launch there's usually a temporary flood on the market, but if demand is good that quickly disappears too.

Also watch how many early adopters there are once those AMD64-939 boards hit the market place. Expect a shortage then too.
BTW, are the X800XT-PCIe even officially released yet? I know Connect3D were putting up info and taking orders, but I didn't think ATI had released anything yet.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 09/17/04 05:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pauldh

Illustrious
I thought the XT800XT PCI-e were released, but not the Platinum edition PCI-e cards yet. I agree they maybe made too many PCI-e cards, but maybe it's a case of low yeilds on PE capable ones so they clock them down as plain X800XT's. I didn't check, butr are any of the ones on eBay PE's or just the lower clocked XT's.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

eden

Champion
I haven't seen yet (to my recollection), any XT benchmarks so far, only the PE. I can only wonder what the regular XT was like. THG only showed the PE in the launch article.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revision Eden, faster updated than ever before!</A></b></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You buy from eBay and your money disappears. You try to track down the person who took your money and get your legs broke. You complain to eBay staff and get your account suspended. You turn to the police and your complaint disappears.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sounds like your talking from personal experiance - bar the legs breaking bit I hope!

I've bought 20+ things from Ebay, not a problem with any.

eden

Champion
Yeah E-Bay's worked perfectly so far for me.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revision Eden, faster updated than ever before!</A></b></font color=red>

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
No I've bought and sold video cards on ebay in the past month. The problems not Ebay, the problem is people with no friggin "common sense". You don't send money to a guy with minimal feedback and no Paypal option. You just don't do it. I've almot 200 transactions over the years and I've only one "vengeance" neg feedback from some guys in Indonesia and on guy stiffed me on a game. Other than that...

My experience with ebay is that its a great and addictive thing. The harddrives - 74 gig Raptors, the case, the keyboard, my HOTAS Joystick and throttle, rudder pedals, etc.. all came from ebay as well as every speaker in my house.. Nope, Ebay's NOT the problem stupid people are.

Da Worfster

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I bought a monitor a few years back with ebay's "buyer protection" and they never honored it. I followed all the rules, and bought from a guy with thousands of sales and a 98% satisfaction rate. The few people who complained said things like "the casing on my monitor was yellowed", "my monitor was dirty", and "my monitor didn't work right and it took him over 6 weeks to replace it". And all the other thousands were happy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

eden

Champion
I agree.

What most baffles me though is how on Earth they find the revenues when selling the cheapest priced items, that are currently more expensive on the market, and are also sealed.

The origins of many great things on E-Bay are just a mystery to me.

--

pauldh

Illustrious
That is true. Someone sure gets these items cheaper than us.

Ever notice that when something goes on sale extremely cheap without any rebates at OfficeMax or a retail store, ebay gets loaded with those items?

Anyway, there is one such family I see at our local Omax (1 mile away) that buys out all the best memory deals and freebies Sunday morning when the store opens. I can beat them on non-rebate items with the sneak peaks on Saturday, but otherwise I have seen them now on many occasions 5 minutes after the store opens with all the best deals in their hands. That's when I first found out why at 12:30 after church, I could never get a stick of DDR when it was cheap after rebate. I went there before church one time and saw them with my own eyes.

I must admit, I did it once. Max payne when it first came out was $15 at circuit city and $50 everywhere else. I cleared out 2 local stores and sold 5 copies on ebay for $38.95 buy it now. Sold right away too. I then sold my used one for $30 when I finished it. Wish I had had 50 of them, that was fun to have items in demand. Of course one buyer claimed the CD was missing from his new sealed box, and instantly left me negative feedback blemishing a 2 year old spotless image I had earned. Ticked me off he did that before contacting me. I would have took the hit, trusted his word and sent him a new one if he had just contacted me first. But in the end he got booted from ebay for false contact info and my neg feedback was removed. Eventually on ebay you will buy from or sell to a loser.

Sorry, Enough ranting and reminissing, sheesh.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

eden

Champion
Hehe, nice story there though.

I've bought a brand new Super Nintendo gamepad for what, 4$ US I think.

Where the revenues come from, I wouldn't know.

--

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
A lot of cards get "lost" at the docks or off the trucks and find their way on ebay. Organized crime isn't stupid. They see what "hot" then they go off and steal it. Selling it on ebay (with the bar codes accidentally removed) is like a license to steal. What better way to off-load "hot" property with no muss, no fuss and nothing between you and a gigantic pool of customers.

Da Worfster

cleeve

Illustrious
The secret to real buyer protection is to go to your CREDIT CARD COMPANY, not ebay or paypal.

I use my credit card for Paypal purchases, which means my credit card company will go to bat for me if there's a problem.

I have a user rating of 82, and I've only been burned once by a guy who stiffed me for a Radeon 9700 PRO. Ebay and Paypal basically told me to piss off, but VISA game me ALL of my money back within a couple months...

They make so damn much off of electronic transactions it pays for them to remove people's fear factor by providing security I suppose.

eden

Champion
Someone should just sue one day, and see how PayPal or E-Bay's tech support would feel. PayPal's already been burned with the recent trial ending, that granted some users 50$ or so for some money issue.

--