[SOLVED] Can you buy a pre built for the same/less money and same quality?

bull2118

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I mean. Here is a GTX 2080 set up for less than I could build comparably in pc part picker

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-legio...00k---geforce-rtx-2080.product.100464914.html

I’ll be the first to admit im a basic noob and don’t know the deep specs.

I guess my question is, is there that big a difference in quality of parts?

will this Lenovo start on fire after 5 minutes and give me cancer while I sleep, or is it perfectly capable of handling games for years to come?
Appreciate all opinions!

You can bet that most prebuilts are giving minimum quality PSUs to save $20, minimum quality RAM to save $20 more, a bargain mainboard to save $30, etc...

You will not be able to match their prices...

You don't want a cheap MB and RAM and PSU just to get a good GPU with the prebuilt....

Order your own stuff, your component selection will be yours, and, worth the extra $100, IMO....

Pre-builts usually use:
  • The worst slowest SSDs that aren't even sold in consumer markets.
  • Poor quality, low wattage PSU
  • The absolute cheapest mobo. Possibly only 2 ram slots, typically no overclocking available.
  • RAM speed is generally minimal unless stated.
  • Reference cooler (or worse) GPU
  • Low quality case fans.
And they still generally end up costing more than building yourself.

People can hate on iBuyPower, Cyberpower, etc boutique builders all they want, but at least in those situations you know and can choose exactly what you're getting.

Last edited:

bull2118

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Great info all, really appreciate it.

I’m a sucker for branding. I see Lenovo (IBM) and I think rock solid.

what about a name like Alienware(Dell)

same deal, junk?
Is there a pre built that would be a good deal to snap up on Black Friday/ cyber Monday?

bull2118

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Anything over ~$500-600, and anything over a very minimal use....build it.

Last time I built a rig I had zero kids and a ton of free time.
Now I can’t tell you the difference between DIMM and DRAM (made that up)

for instance. I know there are considerations ranging from “will a piece physically fit” to the type of interface it has to ....it makes the head swim (one type of 16gb oRAM is apparently superior to another kind, and maybe I just made that up too)

pretty good bet to use the suggestions on PC part picker or in the forums here?

I really just want to plug the pieces in and play my good old historical Total War and CIV without any trouble for years.

Also, if you’ve read this far, to avoid too much research and pain, is it pretty safe to say a 27in 1440 monitor is the sweet spot for the foreseeable future

Semiper Fi from a USMC RET

USAFRet

Titan
Parts selection is a collaboration.
The people here are really good at defining a parts list within a certain budget. Sometimes to the point of idiocy and fanboyism, but we can ignore those.

And the parts selection is generally the hardest part. Assembly is relatively easy.
A single afternoon is all that is needed to build it.

Start here:

bull2118

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Everyone here loves making parts lists. No worries there. Looks like you're in the USA. Do you live near a Microcenter store? What's your budget? $1,700? Are you looking for a big tower? Little tower?

The act of assembling a PC is as easy as it ever has been.

looks like Microcenter doesn’t like the rainy NW. And I think it’s awesome people take the time to help out.

I’m willing to stretch the budget to 2500 for everything including monitor (which is a whole different deep dive)

I mostly play RTS like total war CIV but I played coubterstrike over a decade ago (can a brother get a Typhoon Rising followup or what? Helos, AMTRACKS, boats,!)

I was thinking 4K 32in but apparently that takes a 2080ti which doubles the GPU cost.
I wouldn’t mind if the total cost was around 2k but I’d rather not cross this bridge again for a while.
I don’t mind a mid tower especially if it results in cooler temperatures etc.

bull2118

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I wouldn't recommend 4K for 32". Limits your refresh rate.

MSI Optix MAG321CQR = $410
32"
1440p
48-144Hz refresh rate
1ms response time
3000:1 contrast VA panel.
Yeah. And some of the other issues with resizing things etc. reading it sounded like 1440 was the right way. Most people are turned off of anything over 27in (“have to move my head....looks like a TV)

is that off base? Would a 32in be glorious and engrossing?

I was deciding between 27" and 32". Luckily I have a 27" 1440p at work so I knew what that would look like, and a 32" LED TV in the basement. I mocked up the 32" on my desk and yes, it was too big for me and my viewing distance (can just barely touch my monitor with my fingertip).