[SOLVED] Can you check my build to see if it's going to run into any throttling?

MJ_Z

Reputable
Feb 18, 2016
Hey guys
Please take a look at my current build first:

Mobo: asus z170-k
cpu: i3-6100
gpu: asus strix gtx 950 oc
Ram: 2 × g.skill ripjaws V 4GB
And a 700 watt psu

It's a quite old gaming rig now and I am going to upgrade the gpu to an RTX 2060 and add a new ram stick and cpu. But that raises a few questions.
  1. Can the motherboard cause any problems? Do you think it's too old for a new card like the rtx?
  2. I need a cpu upgrade as well. I am thinking about the i7-6700k or the i7-7700. I am also unaware if either would cause any problems?
  3. The psu description says it has only an 80% efficiency. So I was wondering if I would need a new psu as well or would this not-really-700-watts psu do just fine?

Solution
What is the make/model of your psu? Most if not all psu are rated at there 80% efficiency rating. As long as it's a good unit, 700=700. But it will be most efficient with an 80% load. If it's an older or low tier unit, yes you should up grade. This is one of the most important pieces of a build and should never be cheaper out on.

I'd go 7700, as that board looks like it has very lackluster vrm/vrm cooling, so probably not a great overclocking choice. But it will support either chip, so go with what your budget can handle. Neither are cheap, even on the used market. A new ryzen 2600 and mobo will cost around the same and greatly outperform your current cpu.

Don't recommend just adding a ram stick. Buy a matched set. Try and get 16gb...
What is the make/model of your psu? Most if not all psu are rated at there 80% efficiency rating. As long as it's a good unit, 700=700. But it will be most efficient with an 80% load. If it's an older or low tier unit, yes you should up grade. This is one of the most important pieces of a build and should never be cheaper out on.

I'd go 7700, as that board looks like it has very lackluster vrm/vrm cooling, so probably not a great overclocking choice. But it will support either chip, so go with what your budget can handle. Neither are cheap, even on the used market. A new ryzen 2600 and mobo will cost around the same and greatly outperform your current cpu.

Don't recommend just adding a ram stick. Buy a matched set. Try and get 16gb kit. Then sell your current stick to recoup some cost. Mixmatching ram is never the best option and may lead to issues of compatibility/stability. Even when it's the same brand. Always try and get a matched set, by buying a kit.

The board is definitely not too old to support an RTX card. I'm sure you'll find several people running RTX on there z170 boards. Myself included. Perfectly fine here.

You may think of a complete new build. 6/7th gen stuff is not really getting any cheaper. And a lot of times the 6700/7700k cpus can demand upwards of $250 Or more. Used. Like I said above a ryzen 2600/b450 mobo is right around the same cost, and you get newer hardware. Just food for thought.

Reactions: TJ Hooker and MJ_Z
Solution

MJ_Z

Reputable
Feb 18, 2016

Don't recommend just adding a ram stick. Buy a matched set. Try and get 16gb kit. Then sell your current stick to recoup some cost. Mixmatching ram is never the best option and may lead to issues of compatibility/stability. Even when it's the same brand. Always try and get a matched set, by buying a kit.

The board is definitely not too old to support an RTX card. I'm sure you'll find several people running RTX on there z170 boards. Myself included. Perfectly fine here.

You may think of a complete new build. 6/7th gen stuff is not really getting any cheaper. And a lot of times the 6700/7700k cpus can demand upwards of $250 Or more. Used. Like I said above a ryzen 2600/b450 mobo is right around the same cost, and you get newer hardware. Just food for thought.

Wow thank you for the long reply!

Gotta admit I have never been an amd fan but a first look on what you suggested looks really tempting. I will definitely look into the comparison of the performance and the prices in my country. Just one thing. I've heard that the ryzen needs like...really high ram clock speeds and my current ones are only 2400mhz. Do you think I would need to overclock or it would work just fine?

Just for reference, both Amazon and newegg are listing the i7 7700(non k) for $330-340. With the k sku adding $30+. Those are new prices. The trending price on eBay is $240. Lowest I saw was $200, but still had six days left and no buy it now option. Best buy it now was $262.

New ryzen with board.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($145.66 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $255.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-10 21:34 EDT-0400

With new ram.
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $322.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-10 21:37 EDT-0400

Figure in $60 Or so for a good solid psu, about 550w will be good. That is if your current one is low quality.

Usually ryzen does thrive on 3000+ ram, and since you were planning on upgrading anyway, it's a good idea to go fast. But you could certainly try to overclock what you have now. You may feel held back in current titles with only 4gb, even 8 is starting to not be enough.

I'm a big Intel fan, but you just can't deny the price/performance AMD is now offering.

^+1, unless you can find a great deal on a used 6/7th gen i7 you may want to consider a new CPU+mobo.
Good luck with that. I literally looked for months and these prices haven't really changed. Tough market for used Intel stuff. I'd still be looking if my work didn't upgrade and happen to throw away a couple 7700 systems. It can happen, but be ready with the buy button if you see it!

Reactions: TJ Hooker and MJ_Z

MJ_Z

Reputable
Feb 18, 2016
Just for reference, both Amazon and newegg are listing the i7 7700(non k) for $330-340. With the k sku adding $30+. Those are new prices. The trending price on eBay is $240. Lowest I saw was $200, but still had six days left and no buy it now option. Best buy it now was $262.

New ryzen with board.
PCPartPicker Part List

Total: $255.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-10 21:34 EDT-0400

With new ram.
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $322.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-10 21:37 EDT-0400

Figure in $60 Or so for a good solid psu, about 550w will be good. That is if your current one is low quality.

Usually ryzen does thrive on 3000+ ram, and since you were planning on upgrading anyway, it's a good idea to go fast. But you could certainly try to overclock what you have now. You may feel held back in current titles with only 4gb, even 8 is starting to not be enough.

I'm a big Intel fan, but you just can't deny the price/performance AMD is now offering.

Good luck with that. I literally looked for months and these prices haven't really changed. Tough market for used Intel stuff. I'd still be looking if my work didn't upgrade and happen to throw away a couple 7700 systems. It can happen, but be ready with the buy button if you see it!
It's 2×4gb sticks right now. I was planning on getting the same kit again to make it 4×4gb but perhaps I should go for the faster ones. Thank you for your help man