[SOLVED] Can you clean the back of the CPU?

Aug 5, 2019
Hey guys back with another noob question lol. So I bought 99% alcohol to clean thermal paste off my cpu before my new heatsink gets here. Seems to be two small dots on the back of the cpu is it safe to use a coffee filter & alcohol to get it off?

Thanks guys!

Solution
Thanks ! Definitely thought I had to be extra gentle lol
Well you still want to have some degree of gentleness but not so much that it makes you nervous to work on it. It's not really something that's like brain surgery or something to that degree. Although the CPU is the brain of the computer. lol.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would try using Electronic Contact Cleaner for that.
I knew I was forgetting something. You're right - I first used the alcohol, but then I applied DeoxIT and DeoxIT Gold.

At work, I might've just used alcohol, since I didn't have deoxIT there. I'm 90% sure I also cleaned that side of a couple CPUs, there.

very carefully wipe it with a paper coffee filter.
Eh, you don't need to be too precious. Just make sure not to use too much force. Worst case scenario would be the paper/cloth catches the edge of one of the contacts, or you wipe it too hard with something too abrasive and remove some of the gold plating. I'm not really sure about the legitimacy of the latter concern, but gold is soft and the plating is very thin.

I wasn't all that careful, since it was an old i3. And, yet, it still worked fine.

Reactions: Krsensei
Aug 5, 2019
I knew I was forgetting something. You're right - I first used the alcohol, but then I applied DeoxIT and DeoxIT Gold.

At work, I might've just used alcohol, since I didn't have deoxIT there. I'm 90% sure I also cleaned that side of a couple CPUs, there.

Eh, you don't need to be too precious. Just make sure not to use too much force. Worst case scenario would be the paper/cloth catches the edge of one of the contacts, or you wipe it too hard with something too abrasive and remove some of the gold plating. I'm not really sure about the legitimacy of the latter concern, but gold is soft and the plating is very thin.

I wasn't all that careful, since it was an old i3. And, yet, it still worked fine.
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

I've also cleaned the side of the CPU that makes contact with the pins. You can be actually pretty rough with that side of the CPU as long as you only touch the gold pins. It looks delicate but it's really not something you absolutely have to be super careful with. CPU's are actually fairly durable. They can take a lot of abuse and still work. Though I wouldn't recommend abusing something you might have paid a lot of money for. I'm just telling you you don't have to be super careful with it to ease your mind.

Reactions: Krsensei
Aug 5, 2019
I've also cleaned the side of the CPU that makes contact with the pins. You can be actually pretty rough with that side of the CPU as long as you only touch the gold pins. It looks delicate but it's really not something you absolutely have to be super careful with. CPU's are actually fairly durable. They can take a lot of abuse and still work. Though I wouldn't recommend abusing something you might have paid a lot of money for. I'm just telling you you don't have to be super careful with it to ease your mind.
Thanks ! Definitely thought I had to be extra gentle lol