[SOLVED] Can you clear up my confusion

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
I am about to get my last part for my PC tmrw, now as for windows i will download the creation tool off of microsoft.com but for the key, i had a windows 8.1 to 8.1 pro i bought in 2016. I used it like 5-6 times when i used to have problems with my PC years ago to activate WINDOWS 10 PRO. I am thinking since i got it of off eBay is it safe to use now or will it even work. I know it has worked several times before but i am getting a bit worried

Solution
wym unregistered? i have a product key that has worked to activate win 10 pro
You can install windows 10 with their Installation Media, and choose the option for "I dont have a Windows key" (Or "Activate Later", cant remember). This will let you install a almost fully functional copy of Windows without a key. This is perfectly ok with Microsoft, since they added the feature. From there, you will have a watermark in the bottom corner asking you to activate windows, and you will be locked out of doing any personalizations to your desktop and app themes, stuff that does not matter much. All major functions will still work, and you can use the PC without issue, other than the watermark.

You can also reuse the key again, and see if...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

I used it like 5-6 times ....I am thinking since i got it of off eBay
I am fairly sure that with most any key you purchase they aren't meaning for you to reuse it indefinitely.

I put it like this. Load your appropriate Windows version, try to use the key you have paid for. If it works then it really is "sort of" in Microsoft court since they have to be aware of the hardware id of the other machines it's been registered to. If it doesn't work it appears you are already aware of options. I certainly am not going to go so far as to say it's OK to use keys off eBay...that is (as I said) on you.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
I am fairly sure that with most any key you purchase they aren't meaning for you to reuse it indefinitely.

I put it like this. Load your appropriate Windows version, try to use the key you have paid for. If it works then it really is "sort of" in Microsoft court since they have to be aware of the hardware id of the other machines it's been registered to. If it doesn't work it appears you are already aware of options. I certainly am not going to go so far as to say it's OK to use keys off eBay...that is (as I said) on you.
Why do you say it is not ok to use key off of eBay? Where else could i get a reliable key? and cheap no one in their right mind is going to pay 100 for windows

bignastyid

Titan
Why do you say it is not ok to use key off of eBay? Where else could i get a reliable key? and cheap no one in their right mind is going to pay 100 for windows
Actually people in thier right mind will pay full price as that's what it costs. Windows 10 Home Cost's about a ~$100(occasionally goes on sale for ~$80).

Buying a cheap key you are likely to get a key that was not meant to be resold(used oem or volume license) or one that has been sold multiple times. Either way it will end up deactivated and your out whatever you paid for it.

Would you trust that a gpu being sold for $30 that is normally $300 was legit or a guy selling a $1000 TV in the Walmart parking lot for $100? Most in thier right mind would not.

If you don't want to pay for windows there are many versions of Linux and they are free.

You can install windows 10 with their Installation Media, and choose the option for "I dont have a Windows key" (Or "Activate Later", cant remember). This will let you install a almost fully functional copy of Windows without a key. This is perfectly ok with Microsoft, since they added the feature. From there, you will have a watermark in the bottom corner asking you to activate windows, and you will be locked out of doing any personalizations to your desktop and app themes, stuff that does not matter much. All major functions will still work, and you can use the PC without issue, other than the watermark.

You can also reuse the key again, and see if it works. I do not know if it will, but if it does, I would just use it.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
and cheap no one in their right mind is going to pay 100 for windows
People that don't like to support money laundering? Yes, that is a common case for cheap licenses.

If someone has a single license they want to sell cheap, no problem.
If he has 1,000 of them...you gotta ask yourself...how and why? Because there is no cheap channel from Microsoft giving them away at that price.

As above...if this were suspiciously cheap hardware, you'd run away laughing, knowing it was a scam.
Licensed software is no different.