[SOLVED] Can you connect 1 switch to another switch and then to the router

Nov 22, 2019
Hello!

I have a simple question I think. I want to connect for example 24 IP Cameras with ethernet cable and want to use 4 Switches that has
8 ports each.

I wonder if it is possible to connect the swithes in a SERIAL manner like this. So I would have something like 24 or more contacts to use?

Switch1 -> Switch2 -> Switch3 -> Switch4 -> Router

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Hello!

I have a simple question I think. I want to connect for example 24 IP Cameras with ethernet cable and want to use 4 Switches that has
8 ports each.

I wonder if it is possible to connect the swithes in a SERIAL manner like this. So I would have something like 24 or more contacts to use?

Thank you
You can do that. But all the devices on switch 1 compete for bandwidth on switch 2, 3, 4. As long as you don't expect full gigabit bandwidth between all ports, it would work.
Buying a used 24 port switch on E-Bay would be a much better solution. All 24 ports have equal access to all other ports in a single switch.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello!

8 ports each.

Thank you
You can do that. But all the devices on switch 1 compete for bandwidth on switch 2, 3, 4. As long as you don't expect full gigabit bandwidth between all ports, it would work.
Buying a used 24 port switch on E-Bay would be a much better solution. All 24 ports have equal access to all other ports in a single switch.

Solution
Nov 22, 2019

Thank you that is great. The only problem with the 24 port switch is that it is great distances between the cameras and I try to minimize all cables. It will perheps 1 km cable altogether.

I might also wonder, if the switches has GB speed. Then the router must also have GB speed if I understand to not make the router a bottleneck?.
Are there routers with specification like this?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Copper ethernet cabling is limited to 100m. If you have longer distances, then you will have to use fiber. OM4 can do 1Km with SX SFPs. If you have to install fiber, then you might want to install single mode fiber. Then you will have to infrastructure to support 10GE or more on your trunk fiber. 1GE SFPs would be LX type.
Camera bandwidth is not usually too great (depending on size, encoding and frame rate).

TRENDING THREADS