Question Can you connect a Display port cable that only has display port plugs from your pc to your monitor?

Jul 22, 2022
I have been trying to get my monitor to run at 165hz. I literally knew nothing about Display Ports prior to buying my new computer. I have an MSI monitor and an ASUS tower. Both have Display Ports and HDMI. Monitor only has Display Port Input. I already have a display port to HDMI plugged in, it gives me 144hz at 1080p. I have found a cable that says it can support the 165hz at 1080p, but It's a Display Port only cable, no HDMI. I just don't want to have to drop 40-60 bucks for a good display port to HDMI cable. Is this something I can do, or do I have to stick with Display Port to HDMI?
https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Braided-Laptop-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B0888S7RYP?th=1
Link to the cable in question.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Just to check, the Display port (DP) out on PC is on the graphics card and not the backplate of motherboard? What GPU do you have? Most have DP now, I just checking you not counting a connection you can't use.

I already have a display port to HDMI plugged in, it gives me 144hz at 1080p.

Almost all display port cables only have display port on both ends, as do most HDMI cables only have HDMI on both ends. These are preferable over adapter cables like you have.
The HDMI to Display port cable is an adapter cable that is unnecessary if the PC has DP on both monitor and PC (like yours does)

I have found a cable that says it can support the 165hz at 1080p, but It's a Display Port only cable
that is what you should get then, If monitor can run at that speed.

h7TQA0z.jpg

the cable linked looks similar to the cable i use. Guess it needs dusting but not while PC is on.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
Why on earth do you want to use DP to HDMI if both ends support DP and HDMI? Oo
That honestly makes little sense. But I will admit, one of your statements is very confusing.
Both have Display Ports and HDMI. Monitor only has Display Port Input.
Which is it? Both have HDMI and DP, or only the monitor? If both have both, just use a DP to DP or HDMI to HDMI. Don't unnecessarily cross them.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why on earth do you want to use DP to HDMI if both ends support DP and HDMI? Oo
My guess is their old PC only had HDMI/DVI connectors on the GPU end
I literally knew nothing about Display Ports prior to buying my new computer.

and as such used that cable to connect the Monitor to PC.
If you don't know about a connector and just want to attach your PC to your brand new monitor, it can make sense to find an adapter.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/learn/hdmi-vs-displayport

Last edited: