can you connect gpu with 1 molex instead of 2?

EnderBorn

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
my gtx 950 is connected with a 6 pin connector that splits into 2 molex, right now its connected with 2 molex that come from 2 different cables. i need 1 molex to connect my fans but i dont have any spare molex cables, so my question is if i disconnect 1 molex will my gpu still will be able to run from 1 cable?

PSU: Free Silent 520W
GPU: GTX 950

Solution
I would first look for a fan header on mobo, ususally the Molex connector is a two sided with female and male side together. You can connect both fan and one of the pcie to Molex, at at once. What you mentioned It should work in theory , according to Nvidia says its 90w, but I’m not sure how gpu is wired for the 12v rail, if you can get most of the 12 v power from your pcie, you will be fine. Else if everything is off the Molex , maybe it’s a bit too high. I would suggest you to try connector both the fan and Molex to pcie all together.
I would first look for a fan header on mobo, ususally the Molex connector is a two sided with female and male side together. You can connect both fan and one of the pcie to Molex, at at once. What you mentioned It should work in theory , according to Nvidia says its 90w, but I’m not sure how gpu is wired for the 12v rail, if you can get most of the 12 v power from your pcie, you will be fine. Else if everything is off the Molex , maybe it’s a bit too high. I would suggest you to try connector both the fan and Molex to pcie all together.

Solution