Can you connect your xbox to your laptop through the lcd cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaprap

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Hi. So I was taking apart a really old computer a found the lcd cable. I was previously wondering how you would connect an xbox or any other type of external source to the screen using this cable. i figured that if the pc could tell the screen what to show, you could change it so something else could show like an xbox. Im new to computers and am very interested in computer science so if someone could tell me how you would do this and how that would work, i would be very greatful.
Thank You

Solution
Technically, yes, but practically no. You need to feed both the correct signals to the screen, and the correct voltage to the backlight inverter or LED backlighting module, which is likely going to require reverse engineering what's available to you. If the display cable from the laptop's motherboard was carrying a standard signal, the signal cable may simply require adapting, but if the cable is coming from the display controller, you'll need to wire in a controller of your own to process the standard signals coming from your graphics device, or in your case, your X BOX. The cost of LCD screens anymore is to the point, you may be spending more to Mickey Mouse a contraption from an old laptop than to go to a Garage / Car Boot sale, or...
Technically, yes, but practically no. You need to feed both the correct signals to the screen, and the correct voltage to the backlight inverter or LED backlighting module, which is likely going to require reverse engineering what's available to you. If the display cable from the laptop's motherboard was carrying a standard signal, the signal cable may simply require adapting, but if the cable is coming from the display controller, you'll need to wire in a controller of your own to process the standard signals coming from your graphics device, or in your case, your X BOX. The cost of LCD screens anymore is to the point, you may be spending more to Mickey Mouse a contraption from an old laptop than to go to a Garage / Car Boot sale, or even some place like Good Will (a second hand store) and just buy a $25 dollar LCD screen when they show up.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.