[SOLVED] Can you control your network with Group Policy editor

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
I want to set some priorities on certain packets on my network, because settings on my router are way too complex.
Is there a way to connect multiple devices and control the network? Or am I missing the point of a group policy editor?
I am on windows 10.

Solution
How big is your internet connection.

Unless you are overloading it other machine usage will have no impact.

If you are overloading it then "priority" won't fix it. In effect you are going to have to decide who does not get enough bandwidth to do what they really want. There is no magic program that will create more bandwidth, it is generally pay the ISP more money to solve the problem. You would need
to get the other people who live with you to agree that your game playing is more important than their ability to watch youtube without buffering.

In any case it must be done on the router. Most routers do not have the feature you need to actually even attempt to do this well.

BUT it all depends on how much internet...
That is not something you generally use group policy for. Also not all versions of windows have all the group policy stuff.

Are you trying to do this on a single machine or are you trying to control the traffic on multiple. The machines do not see each others traffic so there is no way to really know if the other traffic even exists. Only the router will know and even then it is all encrypted so it tends to be hard.

>>>>>saw the above post after I pressed enter. If it is on the same machine the simple way is always the best.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
That is not something you generally use group policy for. Also not all versions of windows have all the group policy stuff.

Are you trying to do this on a single machine or are you trying to control the traffic on multiple. The machines do not see each others traffic so there is no way to really know if the other traffic even exists. Only the router will know and even then it is all encrypted so it tends to be hard.
If this cannot be done on a group policy editor, can it be done on perhaps another software?

How big is your internet connection.

Unless you are overloading it other machine usage will have no impact.

If you are overloading it then "priority" won't fix it. In effect you are going to have to decide who does not get enough bandwidth to do what they really want. There is no magic program that will create more bandwidth, it is generally pay the ISP more money to solve the problem. You would need
to get the other people who live with you to agree that your game playing is more important than their ability to watch youtube without buffering.

In any case it must be done on the router. Most routers do not have the feature you need to actually even attempt to do this well.

BUT it all depends on how much internet bandwidth you have and what your usage is. A very small connection of say under 50mbps and where no other plans are available you can get partial solutions.

Solution