[SOLVED] Can you damage psu with psu tester?

Sep 11, 2020
My 24pin came loose while using a psu tester and rapidly plugged/unplugged a few times while psu was on. Could something like this fry psu? Should i not use same tester on new psu if i order one? Also, all cables i tested before that showed normal voltage tolerance on lcd written screen but no green led lights for 3.3/5/12 except for one outlet from my psu. I swapped to another type 3 cable on same outlet and got correct leds but then my 24pin did what it did and i havent gotten a green led since. Lcd screen still lights up and has no voltage alarms, but none of the green leds light up on any cables in any type 3 ports.

Solution
My 24pin came loose while using a psu tester and rapidly plugged/unplugged a few times while psu was on. Could something like this fry psu? Should i not use same tester on new psu if i order one? Also, all cables i tested before that showed normal voltage tolerance on lcd written screen but no green led lights for 3.3/5/12 except for one outlet from my psu. I swapped to another type 3 cable on same outlet and got correct leds but then my 24pin did what it did and i havent gotten a green led since. Lcd screen still lights up and has no voltage alarms, but none of the green leds light up on any cables in any type 3 ports.
If the PSU is on and the 24 pin is loose. Half in and half out sorry to say your system will work however...
Sep 11, 2020
Pretty sure my psu was already bad, my tester had no manual so i dont know exactly what threshold for led light is. But just wondering if something like this can damage psu, and if my psu is for sure bad.

my surge protector was showing no protection when it first wouldnt boot, wasnt making to post, but mobo was showing cpu missing/malfunction qled ( asus for amd 9fx something model mobo) on mobo. Figured id test power supply just to be sure.

Last edited:
As a practical matter, a psu tester costing less than $5000 is probably worthless.
Simple testers can identify a bad psu, but they can not confirm proper operation.

Could a faulty tester damage your psu? I have to think so, particularly if the psu in question is of dubious quality and does not have protective circuitry.

The cables on a psu are really not that strong and could be damaged by inserting and removing the test leads.

Reactions: R2burkholder
Sep 11, 2020
As a practical matter, a psu tester costing less than $5000 is probably worthless.
Simple testers can identify a bad psu, but they can not confirm proper operation.

Could a faulty tester damage your psu? I have to think so, particularly if the psu in question is of dubious quality and does not have protective circuitry.

The cables on a psu are really not that strong and could be damaged by inserting and removing the test leads.

I want to get a new 400w for my new components i ordered. I know what to look for in cable connections and stuff, but i want an extra safe psu for my components. Are there any new features like a beep or led on new psu’s if any of the protective features are no longer working? Got any tips for good recommendations?
I know to look for overload/overcurrent, protection, short circuit protection, continous power watts. Any other important things to look for besides reviews?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
If the PSU is on and the 24 pin is loose. Half in and half out sorry to say your system will work however your going to get red lights upon boot up and start to have issues and then at random your system will go black and you have to restart and it will happen couple times a day. Basically the motherboard is shot. All other components are ok tho. So if you start noticing these issues I mentioned then change motherboards and youll be fine. ✝👩‍🦲🙏🚔🍩💯🖐

Reactions: R2burkholder
Solution
Sep 11, 2020
If the PSU is on and the 24 pin is loose. Half in and half out sorry to say your system will work however your going to get red lights upon boot up and start to have issues and then at random your system will go black and you have to restart and it will happen couple times a day. Basically the motherboard is shot. All other components are ok tho. So if you start noticing these issues I mentioned then change motherboards and youll be fine. ✝👩‍🦲🙏🚔🍩💯🖐

very good information!!! Thank you!! Im sure my psu and or mobo was already fried but now i know not to use that kind of tester. It was like $20 with crappy connectors.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
very good information!!! Thank you!! Im sure my psu and or mobo was already fried but now i know not to use that kind of tester. It was like $20 with crappy connectors.
Sorry you have to go through this my friend. Just keep in eye out for red lights upon boot up and very slow boot up process. I know about this stuff and once that 24pin is half in half out and you power up you bonk out the motherboard big time. Now you might get some RAM type of issues like not recognizing but if you don't then that is great. Its from the ground up so if you start to get issues just know its the mobo. Also Im leaning more towards the PSU having lost its mojo compared to a bonked out mobo initially. However now if you notice the stuff I said above know it was the 24 pin half in half out that did it. Could be worse you could have damaged RAM or video card or even CPU ya know. 🙏🚔💯🖐✝

Buy only a quality power supply.
Try to find a tier 1/2, no less than 3 unit from a quality list such as this:

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
Such a unit often does not cost significantly more.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

When you say 400w, I am suspicious that you are looking at a crappy unit.
Modern quality units seem to arrive in 450/550/650/750w sizes.
I know there are exceptions,

Sep 11, 2020
Sorry you have to go through this my friend. Just keep in eye out for red lights upon boot up and very slow boot up process. I know about this stuff and once that 24pin is half in half out and you power up you bonk out the motherboard big time. Now you might get some RAM type of issues like not recognizing but if you don't then that is great. Its from the ground up so if you start to get issues just know its the mobo. Also Im leaning more towards the PSU having lost its mojo compared to a bonked out mobo initially. However now if you notice the stuff I said above know it was the 24 pin half in half out that did it. Could be worse you could have damaged RAM or video card or even CPU ya know. 🙏🚔💯🖐✝

OMG!!! Just realized right now that my router that is plugged into same old surge protector is also broken so thats fun. Idk if i fried it messing with psu tester or if the strip is just really bad somehow. Not gonna use a crappy tester again. Gonna go unplug the old protector so i dont start a fire or something, my new surge should be here soon.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
OMG!!! Just realized right now that my router that is plugged into same old surge protector is also broken so thats fun. Idk if i fried it messing with psu tester or if the strip is just really bad somehow. Not gonna use a crappy tester again. Gonna go unplug the old protector so i dont start a fire or something, my new surge should be here soon.
This is a disaster my friend. Looks like everything blew up. I don't know why the router would get jolted tho. Very interesting turn of events here. 🖐✝🚔🙏🍩👩‍🦲🤷‍♀️

Sep 11, 2020
My ssd had a corrupted system file a few days before it went down. Fixed with sfc. Is it safe to plug drive into new build when everything gets here? Should i get new cables for my front panel connectors? Already planning on getting new case fans anyways. I dont think ill forget to check surge protection again. Im not touching a multimeter or anything unless someone is with me who knows. Facepalm.