[SOLVED] Can you disable a single fan on a GTX1080 STRIX?

Kanehdian1

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Update: I was isolating the problem fan on the gpu and noticed that it was the fan in the first position closest to the power connector. When i put my finger on the middle of the fan to slow it down i noticed that if the first fan stops spinning the two other fans go full blast. I decided to zip tie the fan that was causing the issues. As a result... all the other fans are spinning full blast. Gpu temp is 28c right now cause because i cant get the remaining two fans on the gpu to stop going full.

Another interesting note is that (cpuid hwmonitor and evga precision x16) no longer detects any fan speed. I assume the sensor is associated with the first fan and therefore because its zip tied it is causing the issues.

I purchased an Asus GTX1080 STRIX second hand from a friend who upgraded to the 1080ti.

He sold it to me cheap as the reason he upgraded was he damaged one of the fans on the card and it is loud and creates a squeaking and grinding sound. I know I can replace the fans but will have to wait for it them to ship from china.

I'm curious if anyone knows if you can disable a single fan on a card?

I've been monitoring fan temps and the card never passes 75c. I have a large case so cooling isnt much of an issue so i would like to see how the card temp changes if the damaged fan is disabled.

I mean I guess I could cut its power wire if need be but I'm worried about shorting the other fans out as they run on the same connector.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you

Rig:
-Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Silent EATX Full Tower Computer Case
-ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75930K Desktop Processor
-ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 500GB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76E500B/AM
-Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
-Windows 10 pro

Jan 20, 2019
I don't think you can disable fans on any GPU. I may be wrong but I'm using the logic of "why would our customers want to disable a fan on the GPU". Best bet is trying to get the fan replaced.