Question Can you fix a water damaged gpu

clementttttttt

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Need some help on fixing a gpu. My friend's gpu was broken, and I help him to fix it. Upon further diagnosis, I found that some thermal paste shorted the gpu itself. I can smell some fried components too. Can you even fix that?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Upon further diagnosis, I found that some thermal paste shorted the gpu itself. I can smell some fried components too.
Are you sure it was the thermal paste that shorted the gpu, and not the power supply?

Do you even know what kind of thermal paste was used? There are conductive and non-conductive pastes. It would be pretty dang silly on the manufacturer's part to use conductive thermal paste on the gpu...

Unless your friend did his own paste job using a conductive brand on the gpu, the odds the psu roasted it are high.

Can you even fix that?
Depends on how deep the damage is. Might not be worth the trouble though.

We need more details. Post the PC's specs, including the make and model of the power supply.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's some conductive thermal paste.
Proof? Brand and model used?

Also, only the area covered with too much thermal paste have fried components.
Quite normal for some paste to spread past the gpu core due to the mounting pressure. A little overflow isn't a problem, unless... conductive TP was used which would be pretty dumb on the manufacturer's end - instant RMA, and get your money back.

ps:that was a rtx2080TI!
The exact make and model please?

What was the power supply being used?

Last edited: