[SOLVED] Can you fix an failed bios update if the power goes of with cmos or cmos battery?

Oct 16, 2020
Hello i want to update my mobo bios to support newer cpu models from amd like r5 5600x.
My mobo is gigabyte b450 auros pro.
Can someone explain to me?

Solution
Yes, always make sure you're updating the BIOS of the motherboard behind a UPS. That way if your power gets cut, you still have ample amount of time to (hopefully) finish the BIOS updating while it is still in progress. I never update BIOS without using a UPS.

Can you fix a failed BIOS update if the power goes of with cmos or cmos battery?

I find it highly unlikely the CMOS battery will run out of power easily, they can last for a very long time. I have never heard yet of someone failing a BIOS update because his CMOS battery died while updating his BIOS. A dead cmos battery can cause a PC not to turn on however, but again its not that you need to replace them very often.

Even if you "failed a BIOS Update", your board...
Yes, always make sure you're updating the BIOS of the motherboard behind a UPS. That way if your power gets cut, you still have ample amount of time to (hopefully) finish the BIOS updating while it is still in progress. I never update BIOS without using a UPS.

Can you fix a failed BIOS update if the power goes of with cmos or cmos battery?

I find it highly unlikely the CMOS battery will run out of power easily, they can last for a very long time. I have never heard yet of someone failing a BIOS update because his CMOS battery died while updating his BIOS. A dead cmos battery can cause a PC not to turn on however, but again its not that you need to replace them very often.

Even if you "failed a BIOS Update", your board isn't totally doomed to oblivion. You can have it flashed with SPI Programming devices - there are two ways in which this is done
(1) - If your motherboard has a removable BIOS chip, you can remove it and buy another BIOS chip from ebay or online elsewhere and then attach it to your motherboard
(2) - For soldered BIOS chips, you use a "clip on" BIOS reprogrammer. This will still allow you to flash the BIOS even if it went bad. I have one myself.

This is basically how it's done in repair centers to service your motherboard with faulty BIOS. I do not condone the method for beginners, as you will need to understand what you're doing and have experience.

Solution