Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Greetings!

Apologies for the newbie question, but can you go beyond the XMP speed of a RAM stick? For example, if a RAM stick has an XMP speed of 2400MHZ can I go beyond that? In a general sense, it's like "can I overclock the memory?"

Thank you.

Solution
Greetings!

Apologies for the newbie question, but can you go beyond the XMP speed of a RAM stick? For example, if a RAM stick has an XMP speed of 2400MHZ can I go beyond that? In a general sense, it's like "can I overclock the memory?"

Thank you.

An XMP profile is a profile extended beyond JDEC standards for easy Overclocking.
The profile may or may not work due to limitations of the CPU or MB.

If you look at the specs of both MB and CPU, it will tell you the type of memory supported and up to what frequency is recommended and officially supported by the CPU.
The IMC is mounted on the CPU and it is the strength of the IMC is what determines the max frequency you will achieve.

To go beyond the rated frequency of your RAM...
Greetings!

Thank you.

An XMP profile is a profile extended beyond JDEC standards for easy Overclocking.
The profile may or may not work due to limitations of the CPU or MB.

If you look at the specs of both MB and CPU, it will tell you the type of memory supported and up to what frequency is recommended and officially supported by the CPU.
The IMC is mounted on the CPU and it is the strength of the IMC is what determines the max frequency you will achieve.

To go beyond the rated frequency of your RAM is trial and error by Tweaking Voltage and Timings in Bios.
No harm will be done to try however the system may not boot and reject the Overclock.
There is little to gain performance wise as CL timings would need to be loosened.

Last edited:
Solution