Question Can you guys help me ?! D:

www.godhand1999

Reputable
Apr 22, 2018
I recently decided to buy a new 144hz 1080p TN panel display for my setup but for some reason i'm getting fps drops regardless of using high or low settings even after getting my graphics card settings to highest performance i still can't get it to work perfectly getting 144+ then it goes down to 80 sometimes 50 then goes back and keeps doing thi.

here is my benchmark , so if you can help me solve this issue I'll be grateful. if you need any more info just tell me.

edit: here are my specs, sry for not uploading them earlier :
Disk drivers : Corsair force LE SSD 120gb
WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 2tb
Gpu: Nvidia GeForce GTS 1070 8gb
CPU : inter core i7-6700 3.40GHz 4 cores 8 threads
PSU: Corsair VS650 650Watts
Bios vesion is american megatrends inc. 1.A0, 7/22/2016
RAM: 16gbs DDR3( cpu-z says i got DDR4 with dual channels sooooo) since it got around 2133 MHz speed

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system specs and OS.

Including PSU.

Use Resource monitor to observe system performance.

First while the system idles (doing nothing), second while you do light work, third while online and browsing, and fourth while gaming.

Determine if there is some bottleneck or conflict.

Overall, my thought is that the PSU is not able to keep up with the wattage requirements being imposed.

However, that thought needs to be proved or disproved.

Reactions: www.godhand1999

www.godhand1999

Reputable
Apr 22, 2018

Including PSU.

First while the system idles (doing nothing), second while you do light work, third while online and browsing, and fourth while gaming.

Overall, my thought is that the PSU is not able to keep up with the wattage requirements being imposed.

i did update the specs

Including PSU.

i did the testing you told me about and here are the results :

idle : 2-3% CPU, 16% memory
light work : just listening to songs on youtube plus discord open plus twitch 20-35% CPU, 28% memory
heavy aka playing destiny 2 while having twitch and youtube running in the background: 61-80% CPU, 49% memory
worth noting that there were some random spikes and when i alt tab out of the game the cpu drop to 51 sometimes lower

www.godhand1999

Reputable
Apr 22, 2018
What happens if you do not have twitch and youtube plus running in the background?

Do the fps drops stop or become less frequent?

Then try with one or the other then both.

Determine if fps stop, stay the same, or get worse.
i tried it, it kinda becomes a little bit less frequent but still annoying the only thing different it the cpu usage since without anything it stays around 61-65% but once i open either youtube or twitch it jumps to around 80%

Ralston18

Titan
If the fps are increasing with CPU usage, then look for ways to lower the demands being made upon the CPU.

In Resource Monitor take a look at everything running in the background.

Use the Overview tab and arrange the screen so you can observe the top 5-6 listing in each category. Click the column headers to establish a high to low sort.

The objective being to discover anything else that is running and consuming CPU. May be something being launched via Task Manager Startup. Find out what that is and then (if viable) disable and observe.

That 61-65 % represents a threshold value - so any reduction there may reduce the 80% "peak" where fps noticeably drop.

Objective is to first learn more about what is going on (aka the "problem") and then consider options to resolve that problem.

Run HWiNFO64 (sensors only) in the background while you game and experience the slowdown/FPS drop.
Exit the game and see if your CPU is underclocking.
Your GPU software should be able to tell you the same. If not, load up GPU-Z.
Could also be drive resource contention. Close any unneeded apps for testing.