Can you guys help me to understand why my pc freezes while gaming?

Pyrexia93

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014
So about a month before I bought myself a new monitor (I was using dual monitor and one of them was my old TV with HDMI output)

After that my pc randomly started restarted while gaming with BSOD. With no knowlage about pc and components I formatted my pc to clear from malwares and viruses if there's any.

Formatting didnt help since now my PC sometimes freezes while I play games with only chrome and discord is opened background or at my 2nd monitor. Since the games were already working before I bought the monitor I couldnt think anything since I was doing the same with my old montors. Also now I cant get minidump files since I dont get any BSOD right now.

I think about maybe my PSU doesnt support new monitor since it might need more electricity but it might not be the answer

Things I've already tried:

-Formatting as I've said before might be malware or virus
- Drivers are updated
-Run windows memory diagnostic and nothing was found
- Tried to change things at "Windows Virtual Memory" didnt help at all
- Checked temp at cpu (which was only option at program it was about 65 before shutdown)

my pc specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8320
GPU: Nvidia 760
PSU: Thermaltake LP-700AL2NH 700W
RAM: Kingston HyperX Black 8GB
Also if might help windows is installed on SSD

(I dont know much about pc's and stuff please let me know if you need more info about anything )

Here's HWMonitor heat results during the freeze:
https://ibb.co/jsHfjp

Here is my task manager-performance section during freeze
https://ibb.co/fzrFjp

rvilkman

Distinguished
The temperature of the CPU should still be ok. There might be some thermal throttling happening, but that shouldn't cause a black screen.The monitor itself shouldn't really impact the power usage other than possibly due to higher resolution requiring the graphics card to be taxed more.

The first thing I'd do is make sure that the computer is clean of dust on the inside, especially the GPU and that the fans are properly running.Since it's just a bit of time it also wouldn't cost you anything.

While the your psu should be able to provide 580W/48A on the12V rail considering the overall quality of the PSU, that would be the first place to check on after you have made sure everything is clean. If you have another 600-650W PSU to try on that could rule it out as a problem. That being said if you need to buy one: Corsair, EVGA and Seasonic have great 650W 80+Gold rated units between 60-80$, most of them with modular cables. Which should help you rule out any possible issues on that side.

From experience heat/dirt and bad PSU are the most likely culprits.

Pyrexia93

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

Just crashed while installing whocrashed but the PC just needs hard reset no Blue Screen no no minidump file is created

Pyrexia93

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

I dont get blackscreen right now. First screen stops only sounds contiunes then the sounds also stops and pc dont do anything if I dont use hardreset. Thats why I dont have any minidump files to upload since I dont get any Bluescreen right now. I currently using too much usb devices on my PC right now maybe that also affects the psu and it is not enough maybe? It kinda hard to buy new psu just to try if thats the problem since the current financal problems at my country but it thats the case I have no other solutions

Pyrexia93

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

thanks yes I only have 1x 8gb ram currently running memtest86 so far 0 errors. I'll try to remove keyboard since I cant clean pc today and I can play at night to check if keyboard runs too much electricity for my pc but I been using same keyboard for 2 years

Pyrexia93

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014
update: no errors found during memtest 86 and tried to remove all of my usb ports (only my old mouse) still pc froze again. Needed to hard reset and no minidump file was created

Pyrexia93

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

occt power suply test was on like 1.5 hours and no freezing happened

on the other hand I can use PC with low graps games like LoL or with only chrome nonstop like 10 hours but freezes in 1 hour during high end graphic games like Withcer 3 or Rainbow 6 Siege

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Sounds like some problem with GPU temps, even if HWM says the opposite, also: 82ºC Max Temp!!!, did not that say something to you?. I know, I know, 82ºC probably are normal HIGH temps for some GPUs but probably your GPU needs some maintenance, also, a GTX 760 can deal with temps around 85ºC (Max) but that does not mean that, after many hours of standing still on those temps, the GPU is not suffering of some "damage", probably nothing, but: first you should try to disassemble the card, clean it as much as you can, check if fans spin 100% free of wobbling or any artifacts, apply good thermal paste and check also if the north-southbridge in the MOBO is hot too, because they also lead to trouble. That car is powerful enough to not reach that temperatures even with some BIG games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0HevmzwdkY

Pyrexia93

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014
Update: I tried GPU - CPU and PSU test like almsot 3 hours each and no freeze

I had 2 PC's next to each other maybe that affacted it but idk.

Also as I mentioned before the problem started right after chaning my monitor. So I was using both HDMI and DVI and now I unplugged DVI and only using my HDMI with my new monitor so far no freeze occured

There might be a problem with my DVI port or my cable but I guess there is no way to be sure without buying new cable

Pyrexia93

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

it seems dvi wasnt the problem since pc froze again while using 1 monitor with only HDMI output game was running background and I was using chrome :(

Maybe it has been a while and I have to renew my paste or something