Question Can You Have Privacy On A Chromebook?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
My wife is interested in getting a Chromebook. Knowing my distrust of all things Google, she asked me if I could put Linux on it. I can, but it's pretty complicated. An easier route would be to just use it as intended, with Chrome OS and browser. She mainly wants it for browsing and email anyway. So my question is, how can I configure it in order to frustrate Google's constant monitoring and monetizing? I have no experience with this OS so does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks, Mike

Through no fault of their own, either.
Prior to the early 1990's that could have been considered to be conditionally true, dependent upon what society a person lived in.

Today, given the ridiculously easy access to the pertinent information on the Internet, any such ignorance is willful and deliberate. A lack of the desire to learn should never be confused with the inability to learn.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
It is completely unrealistic to expect most end users of any given product to have any interest in how it's inner workings are arranged.

We don't expect that (and historically didn't, either). That's why we have things like mechanics, plumbers, doctors, lawyers, computer geeks, and the list is endless. Complex societies have roles and areas of knowledge.

I don't live in a world where I can deny that simple fact. It serves no useful purpose and helps no one.

It is completely unrealistic to expect most end users of any given product to have any interest in how it's inner workings are arranged.

Actually, in the context of working with computers, it is not an unrealistic expectation, by any means; and it is certainly not limited to computer hardware.

Users do not need to posses and understand the schematics for their particular hardware; but it is so trivial to determine the exact LAN controller, audio controller, or chipset in their machine that it is laughable to argue in favor of such ignorance. This is the information which guides a user in the installation of the correct drivers for their equipment.

However, it seems that you and I occupy decidedly different cultures with respect to this issue of ignorance, and you are quite welcome to your opinion.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You seem to think that I'm arguing that this situation is a virtue, and I'm not.

It's a fact. I've been in computing since the 1980s and nothing at all has changed with regard to how much "your average user" knows, or can be expected to know, about the nuts and bolts of computers, whether software or hardware.

It is what it is.

You seem to think that I'm arguing that this situation is a virtue, and I'm not.
I believe that you should adopt the persona of a stranger, read back over what you have written, and tell yourself that your line of argument cannot be interpreted in substantially that light. You leave very little room for any other interpretation.

I've been in computing since the 1980s and
I've seen you mention that quite often. I find myself casually wondering if the repetition isn't a form of argumentum ad verecundiam.

...nothing at all has changed with regard to how much "your average user" knows...
Ignorance does abound out there. I'll give you that. Yet, it is ignorance nonetheless--the willful and deliberate refusal to learn from the readily available sources of information. By contrast, stupidity is the organic inability to learn.

...or can be expected to know...
This is the point at which we begin to diverge.

...about the nuts and bolts of computers, whether software or hardware.
The subject matter is not so arcane as to be unknowable by the average user--particularly if that user proposes to assemble their own computer, and/or install an Operating System upon it; then to use the system in anything approaching a competent manner.

Now, I do not expect "the average user" (how you might cobble-together that definition is beyond me) to already KNOW point of information A|B|C. I do, however, see it as patently ridiculous to propose that "the average user" cannot be expected to come to know (learn) these things.

If it is your thesis that users cannot be expected to learn, then you have argued (quite ardently, I might add) in favor of the persistence of ignorance. Pray tell, if you do not view ignorance as a virtue, why do you justify its continued existence?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I'm done with this, really I am.

I have never said that anyone is incapable of learning this stuff, I had to learn this stuff, but I learned it because it was a part of my profession. I learned how to maintain automobiles in detail after I got into the hobby with older cars, but not before.

It is unrealistic to expect that most people who are not in a given area of pursuit, whether as a professional or amateur, are realistically going to learn or want to learn about what they hire other people to take care of for them.

If that's "promoting the continuation of ignorance as a virtue," then, fine, that's what I'm doing.

This is what is commonly referred to as "the real world." I am not empowered, and neither are you, to enact sweeping change to the way most people (yes, most) approach living.

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
We must acknowledge the authority of the Moderator of course, but if I can sneak in one more comment on the debate about the ignorance of computer users, I would just add that I think a lot of users are simply afraid to mess with their computer. I remember the first time I installed an Nvidia driver update. I was sweating the whole way. I've come a long way since then. Obviously not everyone will even take that small of a first step. Now I am doing things like installing dual and triple boot systems, and contemplating putting Linux on a Chromebook.

Which brings me (the OP) back to the original topic. I've taken the advice of Britechguy and Allen and discussed with her the wisdom of getting a budget=priced PC and putting Linux on it instead. I'm thinking about getting a Dell, because her current laptop is a Dell and has held up well over the past 7-8 years. Also, their support is outstanding. When I had to reinstall Windows, we called them up because it didn't come with an operating system disc (I didn't know at the time you could use any old disc, or even download Windows from the internet - it's the license that counts). The guy, who sounded like he was in India, overnighted it to us. We had it the next day. He also called the nest day to confirm we got it. Also, Dell's machines appear to be physically durable. Although in the lower end they might be less so. We'll just have to go and look at some, along with Lenovos, Toshibas and HP's.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Why avoid firefox?

I don't get that, either. There was just a long segment on NPR the other day about digital privacy and among "the mainstream browsers" Firefox currently has the best track record in that regard.

I'm personally giving Brave a whirl at the moment, as I very much like Chromium-based browsers but I also still use Firefox and am even playing with the development version of Edge (which is just so much better than the original).

The stated concern was privacy. Both Chrome and Firefox fall short in that regard for those who are a bit militant in therms of privacy.

As long as your turn off anonymous usage statistics, and default to duckduckgo.com for searches, and run in private mode with DNT and reject 3rd party cookies, Firefox is just fine for privacy. Firefox does not collect or track any of your surfing habits that I'm aware of when you turn off usage statistics. (Usage statistics are designed to help them build a better product)

It requires some minor configuration, but it's the best of the big 5 (Opera, Safari, Chrome, Edge, Firefox)

The only way you could bump up privacy any more is use something like TORBrowser or Brave browser. Both of which have some serious drawbacks.