Question Can you help figure out what the fastest SSD I can use?

Jun 21, 2022
Hi guys,

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER
Processor: Intel 4790K
RAM: 16GB DDR3 RAM (2x8 GB sticks)
Purchase/Build year: 2014

Web link details of my motherboard: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...cket-1150-ddr3-atx-motherboard-mb-611-as.html

M.2 slot, currently empty. From the link above, the data page reads (for the M.2 slot): M.2 Slot (PCIex 2) support (up to 10Gb/s data-transfer)

Problem
:
I'd like to speed-up my computer by installing the fastest SSD my computer can handle and actually utilise, given the restrictions of the PCIe's of my motherboard.

I found this info: Newer devices benefit from newer PCIe version. For instance, a gen 4 NVMe SSD like the Samsung 980 Pro requires a PCIe v4.0 slot in order to work at its max throughput rate of 7000 MB/s. A gen 3 NVMe SSD, such as the Samung 970 Pro, works at half its speed!

I want to avoid this: Investing in an expensive PCIe v4.0 device only to find out that you actually have a PCIe v3.0 would be a waste.

Which SSD’s do you guys recommend would be best for me and work in my build? Would the SSD be an M.2?

Thank you for your time and help, it’s much appreciated

You wouldnt really benefit from a Gen4 SSD like that, so essentially any decent branded SSD would work.
Something like the 970, or others (SN750, etc) would work just fine on that motherboard.

The trick is to not get hung up on the paper specs of these drives, its highly unlikely in a standard PC you will ever see a situation where the Gen4 speeds are utilized over an older model, let alone a standard SSD.

Reactions: bennie1203
Jun 21, 2022
You wouldnt really benefit from a Gen4 SSD like that, so essentially any decent branded SSD would work.
Something like the 970, or others (SN750, etc) would work just fine on that motherboard.

The trick is to not get hung up on the paper specs of these drives, its highly unlikely in a standard PC you will ever see a situation where the Gen4 speeds are utilized over an older model, let alone a standard SSD.
Hi Gam3r01,

Firstly, thank you for your swift response.

Would a Gen 4 SSD be compatible with my build? Given that it is quite old (2014 build).
The Samsung 970 did catch my eye, I wasn't sure if it would be compatible?

Gen4 devices are backwards compatible, though the interface could limit their speeds.
However, if they are priced the same as an older drive, might as well get the newer one in case you ever get a newer system you can take advantage of the full speeds then.
Pretty much any reasonably priced NVME drive will suit you fine, whether that be a 970/980, etc.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would consider looking into a PCI gen 3 to M.2. It attaches into one of the PCI-e slots just like a GPU or expansion card. They are plenty quick for that generation. You would need to make sure the mobo supports booting from that location, which surely it must as that level of board.

Jun 21, 2022
Gen4 devices are backwards compatible, though the interface could limit their speeds.
However, if they are priced the same as an older drive, might as well get the newer one in case you ever get a newer system you can take advantage of the full speeds then.
Pretty much any reasonably priced NVME drive will suit you fine, whether that be a 970/980, etc.

Thanks Gam3r01.!

Samsung 970 1TB - Read/Write 3,500/3,300 MB/s - £107
Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1TB - Read/Write 2400MB/s/1900MB/s - £69

The 'luxury' option is the Samsung 970, as long as my pc actually utilises the faster speed than the more budget-friendly Crucial SSD, I'd pay it.

I'm not a gamer, I just want my pc to speed up, takes too long to boot up and everyday tasks like opening software takes too long.

Jun 21, 2022
I would consider looking into a PCI gen 3 to M.2. It attaches into one of the PCI-e slots just like a GPU or expansion card. They are plenty quick for that generation. You would need to make sure the mobo supports booting from that location, which surely it must as that level of board.
Hi punkcat, Yes I do believe I can boot from those locations, I'm confident that's an option. I've selected 'boot up' from the BIOS screen a few times, and I saw an option to select.

I assume these a bit slower though?

Jun 21, 2022
Also, given that my build is from 2014, to 'refresh' my pc and bring it up to today's standards, would I just need to replace the following few components: Processor, Motherboard, RAM and SSD = 2022 Standard computer?

I think i'm good with elsewhere: I'm using a CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES power supply, which is total over-kill for my needs, as a non-gamer, and have a Pro Art 27" monitor. No graphics card, just use on-board graphics, does my needs

If you are just running basic software (nothing with specific hardware needs) then a new SSD will likely make the system snappy enough to not need a full upgrade.
For uses like that, either of those two SSDs would give you the results you want. Youd only really see benefit from higher speed drives if you are doing something like moving substantially large files between two NVME drives, and accessing them frequently.

Jun 21, 2022
If you are just running basic software (nothing with specific hardware needs) then a new SSD will likely make the system snappy enough to not need a full upgrade.
For uses like that, either of those two SSDs would give you the results you want. Youd only really see benefit from higher speed drives if you are doing something like moving substantially large files between two NVME drives, and accessing them frequently.
Thanks Gam3r01. That's good to know!

USAFRet

Titan
From the specs page:

"Intel® Z97 Express Chipset with M.2 support (up to 10Gb/s data-transfer) "

Will these NVMe M.2 SSDs work with my specs, meaning can my computer make use of the Read/Write speeds of 3,500/3,300 MB/s in light of my M.2 Slot (PCIex 2) supporting up to 10Gb/s data-transfer?
No.

A Gen 3 SSD such as a Samsung 970 EVO won't be any faster than a SATA III SSD, such as a Samsung 860 EVO.
OK, technically in artifical benchmark tests, yes.

In actual use? No. You would not see a real difference.

In addition, some actual tests:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoRKQy-UO4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9LyNXpsOo

Most of what we do with a ssd is small random I/O.
One thing at a time.
Synthetic benchmarks with high queue depths are not representative.
Nor is high sequential processing.
The response time for all ssd devices, sata or pcie is remarkably similar. That is what you will see.
What is now your windows C drive?
If it is a hdd, replacing it with ANY ssd will be very satisfying.
Yes, there are differences, but they are relatively minor.
If the new m.2 ssd is sufficiently large, you can clone your C drive to it.