Question Can you help me with my motherboard?

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
No, i'm told they are there for more powerful processors that need more power to overclock. I have a forth gen mb with a Xeon E3 1241 V3 and I have all 8 pins connected in it and it works fine, although I dont overclock. Can you give me more infomation on the system and its components?

Just bought one of these. Yes, i know its "old", blah blah blah.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001298916406.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dssV1po

I notice it has a 8pin cpu power socket, but my power supply only has 2 4pins.
Do i use these?

I have done that and when i power on, everything lights up for about a second, then it dies.
If those 4 pin connectors are together and MB has 8 pin why not to connect them both (they fit only one way and in one position) ? Needed or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
No, i'm told they are there for more powerful processors that need more power to overclock. I have a forth gen mb with a Xeon E3 1241 V3 and I have all 8 pins connected in it and it works fine, although I dont overclock. Can you give me more infomation on the system and its components?

Thank you.

No, i mean plug 2 of the 4 pins into the 8 pin socket.

this is the system specs.

General information
Part#JINGSHA X79M-S 2.0
ChipQ67/Q65/Z68 or Other
FeatureHigh Speed NVMe M.2 Interface
4* DDR3 RAM Slot, Support up to 64GB
CPULGA 2011 E5-V1/V2 Series
Form FactorM-ATX, 220mm x 190mm
Memory4* DDR3 Slot
Maximum RAM Capacity64GB
Graphic1* PCI-E 1X
1* PCI-E 16X
Storage4* SATA2.0
LANOnboard 1* Realtek RTL8111F Chipset, Gigabit Ethernet
AudioRealtek Audio Codec ALC662, 5.1 Sound Channel Supported.
USB Ports10* USB2.0(rear panel, mid-board USB Header)
PSU Solution1* 8 Pin + 1* 24 Pin Power Supply
OtherOnboard High Speed NVMe M.2 Interface
Accessories1 x I/O Shield
1 x SATA cable

CPU:
Processor Series: Xeon E5 1650 (6 cores/12 threads)
Main frequency: 3.2GHz
Socket type: LGA 2011
3rd level cache: 12MB
Technology: 32nm
Power consumption: 130W
Note:
1: CPU is used, condition good, 1 year warranty
2: There may have some little physical scratches on the surface of the CPU, this is pretty normal.
3: All CPU are strictly tested by our store
Memory:
Chip: SEC / HY/ MIC and others (ship at random)
Type: ECC REG (server memory)
Frequency: DDR3 1333MHz
Capacity: 16GB (4*4GB)

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Please list the entire system specs including the PSU brand and model.

General information
Part#JINGSHA X79M-S 2.0
ChipQ67/Q65/Z68 or Other
Memory4* DDR3 Slot
Maximum RAM Capacity64GB
Graphic1* PCI-E 1X
1* PCI-E 16X
Storage4* SATA2.0
1 x SATA cable

CPU:
Note:
2: There may have some little physical scratches on the surface of the CPU, this is pretty normal.
Memory:

not sure of the psu, i will have to get a torch and have a look.

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Thank you.

No, i mean plug 2 of the 4 pins into the 8 pin socket.

this is the system specs.

General information
Part#JINGSHA X79M-S 2.0
ChipQ67/Q65/Z68 or Other
Memory4* DDR3 Slot
Maximum RAM Capacity64GB
Graphic1* PCI-E 1X
1* PCI-E 16X
Storage4* SATA2.0
1 x SATA cable

CPU:
Note:
Memory:
No you'll need to use at least 4 pins. But since ive only ever used 4/8 I cant be sure, But + and - connectors arnt enough for any component in a pc so use all 4 pins as this is standard. So what exactly happens when you turn on your pc? Does it turn on for a second, all fans blazing then imediatly turn off? Or is it something else

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Oh, Are you using ECC Regisitered memory? I know the cpu supports Dram and ECC but the motherboard says " ECC REG (server memory) ". The motherboard will only support one memory type as it is built into the mem controller but some cpu's (Yours) are flexable. Also, please state the components you are using. If your memory isnt ECC (Error code correcting) then you will get this issue...

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
No you'll need to use at least 4 pins. But since ive only ever used 4/8 I cant be sure, But + and - connectors arnt enough for any component in a pc so use all 4 pins as this is standard. So what exactly happens when you turn on your pc? Does it turn on for a second, all fans blazing then imediatly turn off? Or is it something else

You don't understand what I am saying.

i am using 2 of the 4 pin power plug in the 8 pin socket.

You can see it in the first picture here

<<Removed by moderator>>

I just dont know where to start.

As i said, the thing powers on, lights going, etc for about 1 second, then dies. I hear a little kind of click and then i can press the power button again and again it powers up for one second, then dies.

i am thinking if it is not a psu issue, that i start testing the RAM one at a time.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Oh, Are you using ECC Regisitered memory? I know the cpu supports Dram and ECC but the motherboard says " ECC REG (server memory) ". The motherboard will only support one memory type as it is built into the mem controller but some cpu's (Yours) are flexable. Also, please state the components you are using. If your memory isnt ECC (Error code correcting) then you will get this issue...

the memory came WITH the motherboard along with the CPU as a bundle deal.

photos of the unit are here <<Removed by moderator>>

and this is where i bought it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001298916406.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dssV1po&cv=12&aff_fsk=Y7bAZbY&af=313684&aff_platform=aaf&afref=https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/can-you-help-me-with-my-motherboard.3682477/&sk=Y7bAZbY&aff_trace_key=b0055646cad04a359c7f273e10f4cc53-1611475929548-00740-Y7bAZbY&cn=19888&dp=12::313684::tomshardware-nz-8414099857919974000::::1611475929&terminal_id=f45c70ab5f1a49e39d362d1f90a92a9b&tmLog=new_Detail

So, yes, it is ecc reg RAM

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
General information
Part#JINGSHA X79M-S 2.0
ChipQ67/Q65/Z68 or Other
Memory4* DDR3 Slot
Maximum RAM Capacity64GB
Graphic1* PCI-E 1X
1* PCI-E 16X
Storage4* SATA2.0
1 x SATA cable

CPU:
Note:
Memory:

not sure of the psu, i will have to get a torch and have a look.

Aywun megapower 450

pictures of system here

<<Removed by moderator>>

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Just an update, my friend.

I have depression and this is really upsetting and bothering me.

It cost me a lot of money ( although i thought it was a good deal at around NZ$230.

So, it was a big purchase for me.

I wanted to upgrade my current pc so i can play Fallout 4.

I have assembled my own computers in the past, but this is the first motherboard i have come across that does not have an ide socket, has a 8 pin power socket, does not have onboard graphics.

the ide and onboard graphics don't bother me.

i hate it when people tell me i should buy a new motherboard or a more modern one. They do not understand that not all of us can AFFORD it.

ie: over here in NZ, i would probably pay up to NZ$200 for just new RAM.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

You don't understand. I DO have all 8 pins in, made up of 2 4 pin plugs.

you can look here <<Removed by moderator>>

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Ok Ok I see now. And you are using a graphics card right? Otherwise im not sure whats wrong. I guess you could clear the cmos by removing the cmos battery for a few minutes but I dont think that would help... I'm sorry and I know this must be very annoying let alone stressful but Dealing with pc's can often be that way often when your working with older parts, I had a plathora of issues with my xeon E3 1241 V3 system and eventully it just turned out to be a faulty motherboard after I waisted $200 on other components then had to deal with trying to send back that faulty motherboard and the ebay seller was being so bs about it. Issues often come down to the motherboard and there is no way to know unless you text your components in a working system.

DSzymborski

Titan
There are some pretty significant problems here.

One, most Xeons do not have integrated graphics. This one is not one of the exceptions. Unless you have an additional graphics card for which you have not provided information, you have no way of using the PC even if it's working.

Second, you'll need a real GPU to handle Fallout 4 or anything AAA from the last decade. The only integrated graphics on the level of the required minimum of a 550 Ti/HD 7870 are on quite new chips.

Third, the PSU is a real problem. It's not actually a 450W; it has a theoretical maximum of under 350W. And it's almost certainly not doing that either. More likely it has to be considered a 300W at best. A low-quality 300W, mind you. To safely run a discrete GPU, you'd need to replace this PSU.

Are you still able to return these parts? It's good that you're asking these questions now, but most people would have steered you to a far better choice, scrounging Sandy Bridge-era parts from a mainstream platform, maybe even an off-lease business PC, and thrown in a low-profile single-slot version of a GTX 750 or something. I understand that your budget was very small, but these weren't good choices even for your limited funds.

Reactions: Krotow

DSzymborski

Titan
As a quick example, it took about 30 seconds to find this:

$150 NZD and all you'd need to do is find a low-profile, single-slot GPU used and chucked it in. And unlike what you went with, even if you couldn't get a GPU right away, you could actually use it as a normal computer in the meantime.

If you can get your money back, something along these lines is a much better choice.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Ok Ok I see now. And you are using a graphics card right? Otherwise im not sure whats wrong. I guess you could clear the cmos by removing the cmos battery for a few minutes but I dont think that would help... I'm sorry and I know this must be very annoying let alone stressful but Dealing with pc's can often be that way often when your working with older parts, I had a plathora of issues with my xeon E3 1241 V3 system and eventully it just turned out to be a faulty motherboard after I waisted $200 on other components then had to deal with trying to send back that faulty motherboard and the ebay seller was being so bs about it. Issues often come down to the motherboard and there is no way to know unless you text your components in a working system.

It never came with a cmos battery so i just stuck one in that fitted the holder.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
As a quick example, it took about 30 seconds to find this:

$150 NZD and all you'd need to do is find a low-profile, single-slot GPU used and chucked it in. And unlike what you went with, even if you couldn't get a GPU right away, you could actually use it as a normal computer in the meantime.

If you can get your money back, something along these lines is a much better choice.

never heard of them before.

only 4gb though

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
There are some pretty significant problems here.

One, most Xeons do not have integrated graphics. This one is not one of the exceptions. Unless you have an additional graphics card for which you have not provided information, you have no way of using the PC even if it's working.

Second, you'll need a real GPU to handle Fallout 4 or anything AAA from the last decade. The only integrated graphics on the level of the required minimum of a 550 Ti/HD 7870 are on quite new chips.

Third, the PSU is a real problem. It's not actually a 450W; it has a theoretical maximum of under 350W. And it's almost certainly not doing that either. More likely it has to be considered a 300W at best. A low-quality 300W, mind you. To safely run a discrete GPU, you'd need to replace this PSU.

Are you still able to return these parts? It's good that you're asking these questions now, but most people would have steered you to a far better choice, scrounging Sandy Bridge-era parts from a mainstream platform, maybe even an off-lease business PC, and thrown in a low-profile single-slot version of a GTX 750 or something. I understand that your budget was very small, but these weren't good choices even for your limited funds.

Thanks.

my graphics card is basic, Galaxy GeForce GT630 1GB DDR3

surely this will not cause the system to turn off after 1 second

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
The garbage PSU might.

Are there any other parts or information about this build you haven't told us about? The 20th post in a thread shouldn't be the first time that key components are mentioned.

Please don't call my PSU "garbage". I paid good money for it.

Please be more polite.

the other part of your message is also quite rude.

I posted my message as best i could at the time.

I think i actually DID indicate my components in that post via the link where i bought it which listed everything.

here is the problem.

<<Removed by moderator>>