Question Can you help me with my motherboard?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hi kiwichanged.

Tier list you can look at. The higher the PSU is the better. On the first link Tier A and B is good. Tier C is only if you have no choices. Tier D and E you forget that unless you want to cook marshmallow on an open fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Please don't call my PSU "garbage". I paid good money for it.

Please be more polite.

the other part of your message is also quite rude.

I posted my message as best i could at the time.

I think i actually DID indicate my components in that post via the link where i bought it which listed everything.

here is the problem.

<<Removed by moderator>>
Okay I see the video, good job so far. If you want to do a quick visual check on the motherboard (Bulging capasitors, scratches, missing chunks, bent pins or anything unusial) please let us know. Also if you dropped any screws into the case they can cause the motherboard to short. Is your psu set to the right country? If your in Australia like myself you need it set to take 240V some psu's allow you to change that setting between country's. The best next step is to try a more powerful known brand psu, for example a 450W Corsair or Thermal take psu would do fine and provide your system with cleaner power. I made a video of a few things you can do- Thw kiwi - YouTube Let me know how you go

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Okay I see the video, good job so far. If you want to do a quick visual check on the motherboard (Bulging capasitors, scratches, missing chunks, bent pins or anything unusial) please let us know. Also if you dropped any screws into the case they can cause the motherboard to short. Is your psu set to the right country? If your in Australia like myself you need it set to take 240V some psu's allow you to change that setting between country's. The best next step is to try a more powerful known brand psu, for example a 450W Corsair or Thermal take psu would do fine and provide your system with cleaner power. I made a video of a few things you can do- Thw kiwi - YouTube Let me know how you go

Thank you.

PSU is fine as far as i know as it is the same psu and case i had another computer in it, so to speak.

I unplugged the hard drives and tested, same problem.

I unplugged the ssd, same problem.

I will unscrew everything and have a close look and do another video maybe.

I am reasonably poor ( better off than many ), so this was a huge investment for me.

i will keep the thread updated.

Thank you

ps: yes, no loose screws, but like i said, i will remove the motherboard completely,.

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Thank you.

PSU is fine as far as i know as it is the same psu and case i had another computer in it, so to speak.

I unplugged the hard drives and tested, same problem.

I unplugged the ssd, same problem.

I will unscrew everything and have a close look and do another video maybe.

I am reasonably poor ( better off than many ), so this was a huge investment for me.

i will keep the thread updated.

Thank you

ps: yes, no loose screws, but like i said, i will remove the motherboard completely,.
Awesome, you wont believe how many people have solved there issues by unpluging and reconstructing everything. From what you just told me, it sounds like a motherboard issue. This further backs our hypotheses..

DSzymborski

Titan

It is. Whether you paid $1 or $1,000,000, the PSU is trash. Nobody here will say different.

Please be more polite.

the other part of your message is also quite rude.

Utter nonsense. I'm just stating the facts about your situation. My doctor wants me to lose weight; him telling me so isn't rude.

If we can't discuss the basic facts of your situation as normal adults would, then I'm out. You wanted computer help, not a wet nurse. Good luck to you.

Reactions: Krotow

Please be more polite.

In fairness to DSzymborski you came to the forum to get an opinion, it may not alyways be the one you want to hear.

Even though you did pay for the PSU (and you are I'm sure frustrated by this) it does not change the fact that it is rubbish, a fire hazard and not capable or running a lightbulb in a stable and safe manner. I have been in PC building for years and the number of problems fixed by swapping out a no-name 400w "made in China" cpu have been many.

To be honest when you order a PC and the description says it "could be thís cpu or maybe another" the alarm bells really have to ring. You would not buy a car or a phone or a couch with that description would you.....

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
It is. Whether you paid $1 or $1,000,000, the PSU is trash. Nobody here will say different.

Utter nonsense. I'm just stating the facts about your situation. My doctor wants me to lose weight; him telling me so isn't rude.

If we can't discuss the basic facts of your situation as normal adults would, then I'm out. You wanted computer help, not a wet nurse. Good luck to you.

Ok thank you anyhow.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
In fairness to DSzymborski you came to the forum to get an opinion, it may not alyways be the one you want to hear.

Even though you did pay for the PSU (and you are I'm sure frustrated by this) it does not change the fact that it is rubbish, a fire hazard and not capable or running a lightbulb in a stable and safe manner. I have been in PC building for years and the number of problems fixed by swapping out a no-name 400w "made in China" cpu have been many.

To be honest when you order a PC and the description says it "could be thís cpu or maybe another" the alarm bells really have to ring. You would not buy a car or a phone or a couch with that description would you.....

then what psu should i get?

I live in Germany so I am not sure what you canb get where are, but that said I would personally never buy a used PSU.... there is a reason they want to get rid of it. Something like a Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 450-550w would be a solid choice. I just put a 750w one in a build for a friend and was imperessed with the quality. Decent 12v rail with tolerable ripple and 5v very stable. The prices are as good as you get for quality/price balance.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I live in Germany so I am not sure what you canb get where are, but that said I would personally never buy a used PSU.... there is a reason they want to get rid of it. Something like a Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 450-550w would be a solid choice. I just put a 750w one in a build for a friend and was imperessed with the quality. Decent 12v rail with tolerable ripple and 5v very stable. The prices are as good as you get for quality/price balance.

the PSU has worked well with my other builds.

Time to take everything out of the case and assemble just minimum parts on a table. If there's no beeper/speaker on the MB, connect one, it helps with troubleshooting.

Yes, that is what i am thinking.

No LEDS on the motherboard and no speaker. will try and see if there is a connection for one.

I will video it all.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

I have my eye on these auctions, what do you think?

I definitely cannot afford a new one.

Plus, of course we are ASSUMING the PSU is in fact the problem.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2950715675

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2950837030

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2950964550

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2951611442

The Seasonic is the only one of those that I would even consider..... and yes the PSU may not be the only problem, the problem is the whole Mobo etc are basically salvaged spare parts whacked together in any old config in a sweatshop in China. People here are only trying to help but you have to be clear that you bought a pretty dodgy set-up.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

what about this one?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2948799511

new ones are probably cheapest here: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/components/psu/desktop-power-supplies?o=lowest_price

Seems one of these boards about what this LTT video was made.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlR1LVMREf4

So far believed that I live in a poor country. Didn't expected kiwi's being so poor that they are lucky to have any Chinese garbage they can get. Nothing personal. I admit Chinese found an ingenious way how to sell e-waste with profit.

About board itself... yes, you will need a PSU with 8-PIN connector. Possibly split one. And separate GPU. Then this board may even work.

I'm curious are NZ doesn't have their local craigslist alternatives. May happen that someone nearby OP sell a PC with better parameters than the thing OP cobbled together for the price of that weird motherboard. A week ago I sold my previous PC for 200€ (parts here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tPsdt8 ). Wanted to free my apartment from unneeded hardware too.

... I would personally never buy a used PSU.... there is a reason they want to get rid of it. Something like a Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 450-550w would be a solid choice. I just put a 750w one in a build for a friend and was imperessed with the quality. Decent 12v rail with tolerable ripple and 5v very stable. The prices are as good as you get for quality/price balance.

Agree, used PSUs are a gamble if you don't know exactly how particular PSU you are buying, was used before.

At now I have experience with Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 CM, Straight Power 11 and Dark Power Pro 11. Both are amazing in their classes - no problems at all. But expensive though, especially last two.

Last edited:

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
This tread has blown up since i was on it last.. @kiwichanged , please stick to a big name psu like cooler master, corsair, Evga, Be Quiet!, Gigabyte etc. Its not worth the risk of dirty power causing degredation of your components, not working, blowing up (Litterally) or catching fire. Same mostly goes for your motherboard, and for cpu's and graphics cards well they are to complex for chines rip-offs but still dont buy a good cpu or graphics card from anyone sketchy because its often not the real thing or doesn't work properly if at all! Good luck for the hopefully forseable future!

Reactions: Flyingkiwidude