[SOLVED] Can you hook up a cantenna to a WiFi range extender?

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Hi everyone.

I was wondering, can you hook up a cantenna to a WiFi range extender?

The benefit of doing this would be to get a significantly stronger WiFi signal by using a cantenna while at the same time not being required to have a computer (e.g. a laptop) connected to the cantenna via a cable to make it work.

The WiFi signal extender would extend the stronger WiFi signal from the cantenna to nearby computers without needing to physically connect any of those computers to the cantenna at all.

The end result would be that you would get the benefit of significantly stronger cantenna WiFi without having to have a cable physically connected to any of your computers.

You would also be able to use the stronger WiFi signal obtained by the the cantenna in more places than you would if your computer were physically tethered to a cantenna. This would be due to the WiFi range extender extending the signal from the cantenna.

In other words, it would be a much more convenient way to get stronger WiFi by using a cantenna than it would be to connect a cantenna to a computer via a cable.

I might have a way in which this could be done, but I wanted to ask everyone here as I haven’t yet found anything online about this particular idea.

I had the thought that you could theoretically connect a cantenna to a WiFi range extender using an Ethernet cable, however, the WiFi range extender would have to be one that came with a built-in Ethernet port.

Instead of connecting the cantenna to your computer via a cable, you would instead plug the end of the cantenna cable into the Ethernet port of the WiFi range extender.

You would just have to use the appropriate adapter to bridge the connections.

Then, at least in theory, the cantenna should send the WiFi signal to the WiFi range extender which would then extend that signal to the devices on the WiFi network.

With that being said, can you combine a cantenna with a WiFi range extender in the way I’ve described above?

If it can’t be done in this way, can it be done in another way? It seems as though it would be very beneficial to hook up these two devices.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
It would be nice if we could just delete old information like cantenna from internet.

Those devices were used when wifi was much simpler. Almost all wifi is now using concept like mimo which requires multiple antenna and feeds.

You can get directional antenna for so cheap now days it does not even save that much money to try to build your own. The cost of the cables most times does not justify it. You get so little gain with these home made antenna you can easily lose all the gain using cheap poorly made cables.

In you case it is even worse a repeater uses the same antenna to talk to the main router as the end clients. Lets say you purchased fancy directional antenna and pointed it at your end computers. Now they...
It would be nice if we could just delete old information like cantenna from internet.

Those devices were used when wifi was much simpler. Almost all wifi is now using concept like mimo which requires multiple antenna and feeds.

You can get directional antenna for so cheap now days it does not even save that much money to try to build your own. The cost of the cables most times does not justify it. You get so little gain with these home made antenna you can easily lose all the gain using cheap poorly made cables.

In you case it is even worse a repeater uses the same antenna to talk to the main router as the end clients. Lets say you purchased fancy directional antenna and pointed it at your end computers. Now they would get more signal but because it is directional the repeater likely could no longer talk to the router.

Not sure what you are actually trying to do. There are likely solution but since you are even consider trash like cantenna you are not willing to spend any money to do it correctly.

Solution

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017

In you case it is even worse a repeater uses the same antenna to talk to the main router as the end clients. Lets say you purchased fancy directional antenna and pointed it at your end computers. Now they would get more signal but because it is directional the repeater likely could no longer talk to the router.

Not sure what you are actually trying to do. There are likely solution but since you are even consider trash like cantenna you are not willing to spend any money to do it correctly.

You can buy pre-made cantennas on sites like http://cantenna.com/. I have no intention of building a cantenna out of parts or any other home made antenna. My question asks the hypothetical question of whether or not a cantenna and a WiFi extender can be hooked up and I proposed the idea of using an Ethernet cable to do so. You assumed I'm not willing to spend any money which is incorrect.

Last edited:

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Make and model of your wireless repeater? Have you checked to see if you have any firmware updates pending?
I don't currently have a WiFi extender/repeater. My question is asking about whether or not a cantenna can be hooked up to a WiFi range extender device whether by using an Ethernet cable or by other means. The details are all in my question.

You can buy pre-made cantennas on sites like http://cantenna.com/. I have no intention of building a cantenna out of parts or any other home made antenna. My question asks the hypothetical question of whether or not a cantenna and a WiFi extender can be hooked up and I proposed the idea of using an Ethernet cable to do so. You assumed I'm not willing to spend any money which is incorrect.
I can't believe people would pay money for that crap when you can get actually antenna that perform many times better from companies like ubiquiti for less money.

It does not matter read the rest of my post. A repeater needs to talk to both the router and the end device. If you use directional antenna to talk to the end device it can no longer talk to the router.

TRENDING THREADS