[SOLVED] can you install Linux on a computer that originally was sold with Windows 10 OS?

May 5, 2021
I was thinking of buying a used computer and reformatting the hard drive and installing a version of Linux but then I heard that Windows 10 somehow has embedded code in the BIOS so I wonder if that would make problems then if you try to use another OS?

Solution
It's not windows by itself, the industry decided to make booting safer to prevent rootkit virus attacks.

You have to look at the linux distro you want to install if they support UEFI you can install them.

Alternatively most motherboards will allow you to disable the safe boot/legacy option so you will be able to install any version of linux.
It's not windows by itself, the industry decided to make booting safer to prevent rootkit virus attacks.

You have to look at the linux distro you want to install if they support UEFI you can install them.

Alternatively most motherboards will allow you to disable the safe boot/legacy option so you will be able to install any version of linux.

Reactions: Cj-tech
Solution

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I was thinking of buying a used computer and reformatting the hard drive and installing a version of Linux but then I heard that Windows 10 somehow has embedded code in the BIOS so I wonder if that would make problems then if you try to use another OS?
As @TerryLaze said, basically you can install whichever OS you prefer on most computers. I have a Windows 7 laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10. After a while I decided to install the latest version of Ubuntu onto it.

I bout a cheap Acer Aspire 3 A315-53 with Win10 a couple of years ago. First thing I did was making a disk image (in case I want to sell it) and then I installed Fedora Linux on it.
And of course - no refund for windows, so MS got free money :mad:

For what I know, the one feature required to be able to install anything else than Windows is being able to disable secure boot.