[SOLVED] Can you just add SSD without installing Windows on it?

srze.game

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
I was wondering can you just add an SSD to your PC (To run programs, files...) and run Windows on your existing HDD?

Solution
I know it's not the best thing to do, but I need extra space, and I have a spare SSD lying around.
Is there a special way to install it, or you just connect the cables and turn on the PC?
Power off
Connect it
Power on.

If it does not simply appear as another drive letter, then Disk Management:
Initialize
New Simple Volume
Format
Give it a drive letter

srze.game

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
Would just be additional storage lacking the main benefit for your PC of general speed for the OS. If you install certain software, eg. games, on the SSD those will be quicker to launch/load.
Certainly.
But thats a poor use of that drive combination.
I know it's not the best thing to do, but I need extra space, and I have a spare SSD lying around.
Is there a special way to install it, or you just connect the cables and turn on the PC?

USAFRet

Titan
Power off
Connect it
Power on.

Initialize
New Simple Volume
Format
Give it a drive letter

Solution

srze.game

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
Power off
Connect it
Power on.

Initialize
New Simple Volume
Format
Give it a drive letter
Thanks.
Is there a way to be 100% sure if it will work on this PC, bcuz it's an older(not too old) office PC? It's using 250GB SATA 6.0GB/s 3.5" HDD.