[SOLVED] Can You Leave A Little Bit Of Thermal Compound On Cpu Pins

Aug 3, 2021
I was changing the thermal paste on my cpu, and when I unscrewed the cooler and pulled it off the cpu was stuck to the bottom. I slid the cpu off because there was no other way to safely pull it off with the suction. Sometime in there I got a little bit of thermal paste on like 3 of the pins. I was too scared to wipe it off so I just put it back in and applied the thermal past and the cooler. When I turned it on, it worked fine but when I applied the auto oc using ryzen master, the mouse was stuttering during the stress test. Is it possible to leave it or should I clean it off?

Computer Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Hyper 212 black edition
B450 Aorus elite
G. Skill Aegis 2x8gb 3200mhz
1650 super tuf gaming
Seasonic s12iii 650w

Last edited:
Solution
Mastergel pro which comes with the hyper 212 is not electrically conductive. A bit of paste on the pins is very unlikely to cause damage.

As the system is functioning, the paste is not causing an issue. Trying to clean it off could cause issues so I would not take it apart to clean it.
Aug 3, 2021
Which thermal paste did you use? It's an AMD CPU, so you're fine with cleaning it off. But be super careful. Do not use a cloth. Use something like a toothpick and gently push the thermal paste out.

By the way, the mouse stuttering is generally caused by loose display cables.
The thermal paste was cooler master pro, the thermal paste that came with the cooler. I can fix the cable, Thank You!

Reactions: Jacob 51
Mastergel pro which comes with the hyper 212 is not electrically conductive. A bit of paste on the pins is very unlikely to cause damage.

As the system is functioning, the paste is not causing an issue. Trying to clean it off could cause issues so I would not take it apart to clean it.

Solution

Latest posts