[SOLVED] can you leave the solder on the i 9 9900k and put the ihs shield back on

Mega Zone

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
So a little bit of back story I bought a Delided i9 9900k from let go the seller claims it works im
Not really to sure what to think about it but I got it and the silicone and the sauter is stil on the i9 9900k he told me any ihs would work so I had a broken i5 so I delided it and want to test the i9 is this possible sorry. If it seems like a noob question but I'm afraid to touch the sauter because I heard all over Reddit it can damage the CPU if not done right so my question is do I have to remove sauter can I just put the silicone glue on then use the delis die mate 2 would that be fine sorry just don't know what do don't want to ruin the cpu

Solution
Okay, a lot to take in here.

Have you confirmed you actually have a 9900k on your hands? Pretty common scam to pull the IHS off a good CPU and place it on a lesser CPU, or broken one, to scam people.

Not sure why there would still be solder on a delidded i9-9900k. The whole point would be to replace it with liquid metal, so I would hope it would be relatively clean. That or this person wasn't aware the 9900k was already soldered and just wanted to dump it.

You can't just jam a heatspreader onto raw solder, it has to be melted, which isn't that easy to get right. Best to clean it off.

Solder can be scrapped off, with a razor blade, if you are careful. You want to expose the silicon of the chip. And be sure to clean off the underside...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, a lot to take in here.

Have you confirmed you actually have a 9900k on your hands? Pretty common scam to pull the IHS off a good CPU and place it on a lesser CPU, or broken one, to scam people.

Not sure why there would still be solder on a delidded i9-9900k. The whole point would be to replace it with liquid metal, so I would hope it would be relatively clean. That or this person wasn't aware the 9900k was already soldered and just wanted to dump it.

You can't just jam a heatspreader onto raw solder, it has to be melted, which isn't that easy to get right. Best to clean it off.

Solder can be scrapped off, with a razor blade, if you are careful. You want to expose the silicon of the chip. And be sure to clean off the underside of the IHS. On soldered ones, there should be a layer of gold. So when you see yellow you have gone far enough. And for testing purposes just use normal thermal compound between it and the IHS, and a normal heatsink.

The 'silicone' you are talking about is the adhesive that holds the IHS on? Or are you talking about thermal compound? You don't want to use thermal adhesive anywhere in this process. (Just want to be clear) You can use a silicone compound to glue the IHS back on, but it isn't super necessary, I have mine floating free, just used the heatsink to hold it down.

Delid tools are fine to use for getting an IHS off, particularly a soldered one. But they re-applying the IHS and using the delid tool again won't really do anything.

I highly suggest watching some de-lid tutorials. der8auer is a good resource. Also videos from Gamer's Nexus, Jayztwocents, and a few others.

I hope you have a 9900k.

Reactions: Mega Zone
Solution

Mega Zone

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
Ok cool thank you sounds good I will make sure its a i9 9900k, So I been doing a little reading and will clear nail polish protect it? Also heard some mix reviews about this product that supposedly gets off the solder called quicksilver. Do you know if that effective or should I just be extremely careful taking a razor blade to it? And i can leave the ihs off?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are certain types of nail polish that is commonly used to protect the surface mount components near the chip from liquid metal if that is what you mean.

I've not heard of the other thing. I've always seen manual removal.

You can leave the IHS off if you have some cooler that you can tighten down to the surface of the chip. You do have to be careful, it is somewhat easy to overtighten a cooler and crack the chip, that is why they started introducing IHS, for protection. Cheapness lead to the reduction of soldering and moving to thermal compound, which really kicked off the liquid metal applications. They've gone back to soldering, but the chips got more complex, so they have more silicon as a buffer. Basically wasn't super effective, so de-lidding is still viable, though harder with the soldered chips.

Mega Zone

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
There are certain types of nail polish that is commonly used to protect the surface mount components near the chip from liquid metal if that is what you mean.

I've not heard of the other thing. I've always seen manual removal.

You can leave the IHS off if you have some cooler that you can tighten down to the surface of the chip. You do have to be careful, it is somewhat easy to overtighten a cooler and crack the chip, that is why they started introducing IHS, for protection. Cheapness lead to the reduction of soldering and moving to thermal compound, which really kicked off the liquid metal applications. They've gone back to soldering, but the chips got more complex, so they have more silicon as a buffer. Basically wasn't super effective, so de-lidding is still viable, though harder with the soldered chips.
Thanks for all the information do you think a screwdriver will work to get it off?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Most screw drivers are probably a little too rough. You want to apply a consistent scraping force, and not have too much leverage. Screwdriver might crack something.

It would work, but it would be slow going I think. Kind of like pushing through a hardened putty.

Mega Zone

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
Most screw drivers are probably a little too rough. You want to apply a consistent scraping force, and not have too much leverage. Screwdriver might crack something.

It would work, but it would be slow going I think. Kind of like pushing through a hardened putty.
Oh okay so what do you think I should use

Mega Zone

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
Oh okay so what do you think I should use
SO I have confirmed it was a i9 what I did is use normal Thermal paste and put a i5 ihs shelf on it while the mother borad held everything in place i did not take off the sauter yet I ordered some quick sliver from rocket cool and some thermal grizzly as I'm afraid living the sauter on can cause issues right now my idle temp are 40-50ish I ran prime 95 and it shot up to 87 I ran that for about a hour or so that's with Asus pre over clock so I'm sure I can get a more stable temp just wanted to see if it was in fact a i9 do you think I should wait until everything gets here or do you think it's fine and once it's gets here take off the sauter do you absolutely Have to take it off I'm just worried I don't want to ruin the cpu I'm sorry if it feels like I'm asking the same questions over and over but I wasn't sure if you understood what I meant by leaving it on thanks again

Mega Zone

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
SO I have confirmed it was a i9 what I did is use normal Thermal paste and put a i5 ihs shelf on it while the mother borad held everything in place i did not take off the sauter yet I ordered some quick sliver from rocket cool and some thermal grizzly as I'm afraid living the sauter on can cause issues right now my idle temp are 40-50ish I ran prime 95 and it shot up to 87 I ran that for about a hour or so that's with Asus pre over clock so I'm sure I can get a more stable temp just wanted to see if it was in fact a i9 do you think I should wait until everything gets here or do you think it's fine and once it's gets here take off the sauter do you absolutely Have to take it off I'm just worried I don't want to ruin the cpu I'm sorry if it feels like I'm asking the same questions over and over but I wasn't sure if you understood what I meant by leaving it on thanks again
Iam using the corsair h115i platinum 280mm if that helps any

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure how that could be misinterpreted. You should not leave the solder on, the entire idea behind delidding is to remove the excess thermal interface. Leaving what is left in place will just be another thermal interface layer. The act of removing it and placing it back down drops the distance between the IHS and the CPU die down significantly, less thermal interface the better. People at home don't have the equipment for re-soldering without potentially damaging something. Liquid metal is an alternative that comes with its own issues, but is certainly better than solder or paste as an interface material.