Can you make a USB flash drive appear as a CD-ROM drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpazldNinjaDude

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Can you make a USB flash drive appear as a CD-ROM drive, and make it read/write able.
I know this can be done but every answer I have heard has been for WinXP, I am using Win7, and the autorun.inf OPEN command is not longer supported, I know that for CD-ROM drives it still is, and if you get a USB recognised as a CD-ROM then the autorun.inf will work.
It works on WinXP I have tested, can't test on vista, as I have no vista PCs. But should still work.
If at all possible can it be done in Win7, and I don't want to install programs that have to run on the PC for it to work, as it defeats the purpuse, is there some sort of file or something that 'tricks' Win7 to read the drive as a CD-ROM, but also allows read/write, as I will be installing portable apps onto it.

Help would be greatly appresiated :)

Thanks,

Pierre

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
What is the reason that you want to do this? What is the end goal? I know you said you don't want another program to be installed, but I think it might help if we understood the purpose for doing this...

Maybe there is a better solution?

SpazldNinjaDude

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
cause it allows be to either open the files to view them or run the portable apps program, and as this will be used on a place where a have to hide my actions (school, work the like), it is better if its quick and less conspicous, so realy to save time, and open the portable apps suite, on Win7 :)

SpazldNinjaDude

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Well that and Win7 OPEN commands in autorun.inf files for USB devices dont work, unless its a CD/DVD ROM drive, so if Win7 thinks its a CD/DVD ROM drive it will work, i just dont know how to make it work.
So i can rename and change the image of the drive but not make the option for clicking Start... when the AutoPlay comes up.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
So your issue is that you want it to autoplay something and it won't because Windows changed the way it handles the autorun.inf file?

You want it to autoplay what? Was that the portable apps?

andremarx13

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

autorun is still suported on hard drives
so if you have an external hard drive you can use it
or else you should download a driver that makes a pc think it as a hard disk
open this link http://www.getusb.info/usb-hack-turn-a-usb-stick-into-a-hard-drive-or-local-disk/

G

well my goal is to make my HDD appear as CD rom , therefore, I could make my PS3 fool and run hard driver as CD rom/ blue ray cd rom exactly

jeruka9

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
burn usb as cd is posible you will do that in ultraiso
detectable as cd with botice
usb botable :
rufus,yumi,wintoflash
install from hdd
winntsetup 3.8.7.4

gmo

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004
UltraISO is good. But that process isn't done at the controller level. Meaning if you Erase the drive it will clear out the CD partition. Most are probably fine with this, but there is another way to make a CD-ROM at the controller level of the USB stick. You cannot reverse it, and the device truly works as a CD-ROM in any computer.

ini files don't work. Most anti-virus software flags the file and stops if from working because the software knows it's an instructions file. So that is, most likely, not the way.

To make the CD-ROM at the controller level you need software than can talk directly to the controller itself to setup the device. Each USB controller company has their own, proprietary way, of doing this. In our dupe house (usbcopier[dot]com) we've done this using the nexcopy.com software/duplicator. I was happy with the result and the USB showed up as a CD in both Mac and PC computers, so my client was happy with the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS