Can you mix ram brands/speeds? Freesync as well?

Jul 8, 2018
For example, can I put a 1x16gb corsair vengence3000mhz stick in one slot and a patriot signature line 2400mhz in another? Will it be dual channel? Also if you have a freesync monitor, what happens if your frame rate surpasses the refresh rate?
Also is it unwise to use freesync in low requirement games like cs go when you have over 150fps?

Solution
With memory. Yes and No. It depends on how picky the motherboard is. You can do that but except the 3000mhz to drop down to 2400mhz to match the slowest chip. If dual channel will work, well again. Depends on how picky the mobo is. Your best option is to purchase a ram kit so you know its compatible.

As for freesync. It depends on your monitors herts and in game fps etc... generally you can just leave freesync on and it should attempt to match your fps to your monitor as that is what it is designed to do.

For me in CS. I have display lag regardless of gsync, freesync or vsync being on. I was getting like 300fps in game and it was just too fast for my 144herts monitor to keep up with. I ran a command in CS console to limit my fps to...
With memory. Yes and No. It depends on how picky the motherboard is. You can do that but except the 3000mhz to drop down to 2400mhz to match the slowest chip. If dual channel will work, well again. Depends on how picky the mobo is. Your best option is to purchase a ram kit so you know its compatible.

As for freesync. It depends on your monitors herts and in game fps etc... generally you can just leave freesync on and it should attempt to match your fps to your monitor as that is what it is designed to do.

For me in CS. I have display lag regardless of gsync, freesync or vsync being on. I was getting like 300fps in game and it was just too fast for my 144herts monitor to keep up with. I ran a command in CS console to limit my fps to 144 and havnt had the issue since.

Mind you, CS is the only game I have this issue with. I have no problems with any other games and normally just leave Gsync on 24/7.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS