[SOLVED] Can you mix same speed memory

Jul 2, 2020
I have 16gb of 3200 speed memory, 2x8
If I bought 2x16 3200, same brand, would it work? so instead of 16gb I could have 48gb?

Solution
Memory is like any other IC. You will have lot to lot variances in electrical characteristics. Even ram with the same model number from the same manufacturer is not guaranteed to be compatible with each other.

Memory sold in matched sets has had these variances accounted for.

Mismatched memory MAY work , may give subtle errors, or may not work at all. The memory controller will attempt to use the lowest settings between the mismatched sets, but cannot always accomodate the differences, especially at higher frequencies or tighter timings.

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
-buying 3 of RAM of same speed same Capacity(sure)

Answer:
Yeah it will work.

But:
Every Motherboard have a "Max Capacity", make sure to check the Spec of your Motherboard from it website, how much Max Capacity it can be input.

craka1

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Should work but since they are not part of the same "kit" its not guaranteed to work. I had an issue where I got 2 different sets of DDR3-1866 8GB (2x4) CL9 and while they work individually in 2 different systems I could never get all 4 sticks to work at once

Memory is like any other IC. You will have lot to lot variances in electrical characteristics. Even ram with the same model number from the same manufacturer is not guaranteed to be compatible with each other.

Memory sold in matched sets has had these variances accounted for.

Mismatched memory MAY work , may give subtle errors, or may not work at all. The memory controller will attempt to use the lowest settings between the mismatched sets, but cannot always accomodate the differences, especially at higher frequencies or tighter timings.

Solution