[SOLVED] Can you move m.2 SSD to external USB (3.0) enclosure and boot windows 10 from it?

Aug 14, 2020
I had a laptop that windows is already installed on, the laptop died so I want to take the M.2 out of that laptop and put in the enclosure and boot from it on a different computer built around 2013, is this possible? I know windows has to have some registry changes made, the laptop died very suddenly cant currently get back to it, is there anyway past making those changes and booting windows from the usb?

Thanks,
Brad

Solution
Boot from it? Unlikely, but you can try.

Are you looking to actually use this as the OS drive, or just retrieve some data from it?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
As long as you're not concerned with legalities, I don't see why not. Of course the two machines would have to be somewhat similar. Win10 should install the necessary drivers, etc, as needed as it boots for the first time, leaving you at the desktop of a de-activated installation.

Aug 14, 2020
As long as you're not concerned with legalities, I don't see why not. Of course the two machines would have to be somewhat similar. Win10 should install the necessary drivers, etc, as needed as it boots for the first time, leaving you at the desktop of a de-activated installation.
Would that work with the current windows installed on it or do i have to do a fresh install?

Aug 14, 2020
Only one way to find out. Try it. Then go for the clean install as a last resort.
What was the specs of the laptop vs the specs of the "different computer built around 2013 " you want to run it on?
laptop
clevo - P65_P67SG
cpu -i7-4720hq
GPU -980m
RAM- 16gb crucial
desktop(built around 2013)
motherboard- gigabyte z68ap-d3
cpu - i7-2600k
GPU - GTX 680
RAM- 16gb corsair vengeance

Boot from it? Unlikely, but you can try.

Are you looking to actually use this as the OS drive, or just retrieve some data from it?
Use as OS drive in this instance

I figured it was highly unlikely that this would work because of speed issues , especially with it being older hardware and running through USB 3.0

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
laptop
clevo - P65_P67SG
cpu -i7-4720hq
GPU -980m
RAM- 16gb crucial
desktop(built around 2013)
motherboard- gigabyte z68ap-d3
cpu - i7-2600k
GPU - GTX 680
RAM- 16gb corsair vengeance

Use as OS drive in this instance

I figured it was highly unlikely that this would work because of speed issues , especially with it being older hardware and running through USB 3.0
I must not have originally understood what it was you wanted to do. I thought you wanted to move the m.2 drive from the laptop to the desktop and use it to boot to win10. Obviously that won't work because the old desktop you spec'ed out has no m.2 support.
Using the m.2 in a USB interface enclosure would be an entirely different animal from what I was thinking you wanted to do.

I'm going to agree with USAFRet on this one. Sorry I was leading you down the wrong path.